Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup
Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup is a hearty, delicious soup filled with chicken, green chile, corn, and black beans in a tomato broth. This soup is full of flavor without being too spicy. Serve it with fried tortilla strips and cheese for the ultimate Tex-Mex lunch or dinner!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings
- Category: Soup
- Method: Easy
- Cuisine: Mexican/Tex Mex
- 2 tablespoons mild flavored oil such as canola
- 1 small onion, chopped (about ½ cup)
- 2 4-ounce cans chopped green chiles, drained (if fresh is available, use about ½ cup)
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 14-ounce can petite diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 10.5-ounce cans or cartons beef broth (I use Campbell’s brand beef consomme)
- 2 10.5-ounce cans or cartons lower sodium chicken broth
- 3 cups tomato juice
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons red chile powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- 4 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons bottle steak sauce such as A-1
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- cooked and shredded chicken from one rotisserie chicken (about 2-3 cups)
For the toppings:
- 10 corn tortillas (or more) cut into strips
- 2 cups shredded cheddar, Monterey Jack, or Mexican blend cheese
- Lime wedges
- Chopped cilantro
- Sour Cream
- Diced or Sliced Avocado
- In a large stock pot or dutch oven, heat the oil. Saute onions, garlic, and green chile until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add beef beef, chicken broth, tomato juice, cumin, chile powder, salt, pepper, Worcestershire sauce, steak sauce, beans, and corn. Stir. Cover and simmer for about 45 minutes.
- Add shredded chicken and simmer for 20 minutes more.
- Serve with toppings
- To fry tortilla strips:
- Heat an inch of canola or vegetable oil in a heavy bottom skillet. Add strips in one layer and cook until desired crispness. Instead of trying to flip the stips over, I submerge the strips slightly with the spatula. Drain on paper towels and salt immediately.
Nutritional information provided is an estimate and doesn’t include topping suggestions.
I love black beans in this soup, but you may like to use your favorite such as pinto or kidney, or a combination.
Keywords: Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup, Tex Mex, Soup Recipe