Easy Onion Soup
When the weather turns cold, turn to this comforting and Easy Onion Soup to warm you up. This onion soup is loaded with sweet onions, beef broth, and a surprise ingredient—beer! It’s topped with toasted baguette slices and yummy melted Swiss cheese. This recipe is easy and perfect for family dinner!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 Hour 15 Minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings
- Category: Soups
- Method: Easy
- Cuisine: American
- 6 medium yellow onions (about 2.5 pounds) sliced thin
- ⅓ cup butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1-12 ounce bottle amber or dark beer
- 6 cups beef broth
- 1 baguette cut into one inch thick slices
- 2 cups shredded Swiss or Gruyere cheese or a combination of both
- Salt and pepper to taste
To prepare croutons (toasted baguette slices)
Pre-heat oven to 325. Cut bread into one inch slices. Place on a large cookie sheet. Bake for 20-30 minutes or until crisp.
For the Easy Onion Soup
- Cut onions in half then across the grain into thin slivers.
- Heat a large dutch oven (5 or 6 quart) over medium heat. Add butter to melt, then add onions. Cover pot and cook for about 10 minutes or until softened. Uncover pot then cook until onions are golden brown; about 45 minutes.
- When onions are lightly caramelized, add minced garlic, flour, paprika to pan. Stir to blend mixture together.
- Slowly add beer and 6 cups beef broth. Stir to combine. Bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Pre-heat broiler.
- To serve: divide soup among oven proof bowls and place on a cookie sheet. Top with a slice or two of baguette, then top with cheese. Place soup in oven 2 or 3 inches away from heating element. Broil until the cheese is bubbly and lightly browned. Cooking times will vary so be sure to keep and eye on your soup! In my oven it takes about 6-8 minutes.
Nutritional information is an estimate and based on 1 and a half cups of soup, 1/4 cup cheese and 2 slices of bread.
Keywords: Onion Soup, French Onion Soup