Red, White, and Blue Skillet Pound Cake Dessert is a simple, sweet treat to enjoy when the temps are heating up! Buttery pound cake pairs perfectly with the bright flavors of strawberries and blueberries. The homemade whipped cream can be prepped ahead of time and makes a perfectly sweet and cool topping.
I’ll be the first to admit that homemade desserts are usually way better than something you could buy from the store. But I’m a Texan, and as I write this post it is 95 degrees (that’s 35 celsius) and it’s not even summer here yet! There’s no way I’m turning the oven on today.
So instead, I’m going to serve up this delicious Red, White and Blue Skillet Pound Cake Dessert!
It’s so simple, but don’t let that deceive you. It’s buttery and bright. It’s creamy and cool. It’s not too sweet or heavy. In other words, it’s the perfect summer dessert!
helpful tools used to make this recipe
This is my all time favorite spatula for baking. It’s great at getting every last bit of frosting or cake batter out of the bowl.
tips for making red, white and blue skillet pound cake dessert
Be sure the heavy cream is very cold before you whip it. It’s best served immediately, but it can be refrigerated for several hours before hand. Add a touch of cinnamon if you like!
Wash the fruit and slice your strawberries ahead and have them waiting in the fridge before serving time.
You can griddle the pound cake a couple hours before serving. Leave them out at room temperature on a serving platter or plate lined with a paper towel.
Pin the recipe!
red, white, and blue skillet pound cake dessert
- 1 homemade or store bought butter pound cake such as Sara Lee, thawed
- 4 tablespoons butter divided
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream chilled
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Dash of vanilla extract optional
- 2 cup strawberries hulled and quartered
- 1 cup blueberries
- Powdered sugar for dusting
- For the pound cake:
- Cut pound cake into 8 slices. Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Melt 2 tablespoons butter in pan. When bubbly, add 4 slices of pound cake. Lightly toast each side, being careful not to burn the edges (about one minute per side). Repeat with remaining butter and pound cake slices. Set aside on a plate.
- For the whipped cream:
- Add heavy whipping cream and sugar to the bowl of an electric mixer. Whip on high until soft peaks form. Don’t over whip or you will end up with butter! Fold in a dash of vanilla if desired. Serve immediately or refrigerator for several hours. Re-whip if needed, being careful not to over do it.
- Arrange 2 slices of pound cake on each of four plates. Top with ½ cup whipped cream, 1/2 cup quartered strawberries, and ¼ cup blueberries.
- Dust with powdered sugar.
If you made this Red, White and Blue Skillet Pound Cake Dessert, or any other recipe on the blog, don’t forget to leave a rating and a comment below. I love hearing from my readers! You can also find me on Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest!