Crockpot Loaded Mashed Potatoes
Loaded mashed potatoes made easy by cooking up in the crockpot! You'll love this easy side dish recipe to help complete all your favorite meals. Perfect when you've run out of room in the oven!
Servings: 6 Servings
- 3 pounds potatoes russets
- 1 cups cup chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1 cup sour cream
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- 8 ounces sharp shredded cheddar cheese, divided or your favorite cheese
- 8 slices chopped bacon, divided I use pre-cooked microwave bacon
- ¼ cup chopped green onion if desired
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt or to taste
- ½ teaspoon pepper or to taste
Peel and dice potatoes into quarters or eights, depending on size.
Add potatoes to crock-pot. Pour stock over, then sprinkle potatoes with salt and pepper.
If cooking on high, potatoes will need about 3 hours to soften. If cooking on low, allow 6 hours.
Potatoes are ready to mash when they are tender and can be easily pierced with a fork. If you prefer thicker mashed potatoes, remove them from the pot and drain the liquid. If you like more of a pureed style mashed potatoes, leave the liquid.
Mash potatoes, then add butter, sour cream, half the cheese, and half the bacon. Stir well then top with remaining cheese, bacon, and green onions.
- What are the best potatoes for mashed potatoes? This recipe was made with russet potatoes, but you can try it with Yukon gold. Russets are lighter in texture while Yukons are a bit more dense. I haven't tried reds, so please leave me a comment if you have!
- Pre-cooked microwave bacon works well, but feel free to fry some, if desired.
- If you don't have or want sour cream, you can use milk. Just start with about ¼ cup (warmed up) and work up to ½ cup, depending on desired consistency.
- Use cream cheese instead of sour cream if desired. Be sure to warm it up in the microwave first so it will blend smoothly. Four ounces is a great amount for this recipe (½ block).
Calories: 412kcal | Carbohydrates: 23g | Protein: 15g | Fat: 30g | Saturated Fat: 16g | Cholesterol: 74mg | Sodium: 820mg | Potassium: 814mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 709IU | Vitamin C: 20mg | Calcium: 289mg | Iron: 6mg