Curry Lentil Soup
You’ll love this easy, healthy lentil soup. It has a touch of curry for the perfect savory flavor. Since lentils cook quickly, this soup is perfect for a weeknight dinner. Serve with crusty bread, naan or jasmine rice.
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 carrots diced small (about 1 cup)
- 1 ½ cups dried lentils sorted and rinsed
- 1-14 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 6 cups vegetable broth store bought or homemade, low sodium
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp curry powder
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- 2 dried bay leaves
- ½ tsp salt and pepper or to taste
- Fresh lemon or lime juice optional
- Fresh parsley optional
Add oil to a large pot and heat to medium. Add onion, garlic, and carrots and cook for 8-10 minutes or until softened. Stir often to keep the vegetables from burning.
Add spices, salt and pepper. Stir for about 30 seconds. Add crushed tomatoes, lentils, broth, and bay leaves. Stir to combine.
Bring to a gentle boil. Scoop sway the frothy scum that forms on the surface with a spoon. Repeat throughout the cooking process if needed.
Cover pot and simmer over medium low heat for 35-40 minutes or until lentils are tender.
Remove bay leaves before serving.
Top with hot cooked jasmine rice and a squeeze of lemon or lime, if desired.
- What lentil are best for this soup? I used brown lentils, which are the most common one you'll find in the grocery store.
- Always sort and rinse your lentils before cooking.
- Overcooking will lead to mushy lentils, so you'll want to keep an eye on them in the last several minutes of cooking.
- Partially puree soup if you prefer a thicker texture. Use an immersion blender right in the cooking pot, or transfer 2 cups to a blender. Add the pureed soup back to the pot and heat through. Take caution when blending hot liquids.
- Don't forget to remove the bay leaves before serving or pureeing.
- Store leftovers covered in the refrigerator for up to five days. Store leftover rice separately.
Serving: 6g | Calories: 305kcal | Carbohydrates: 43g | Protein: 16g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 1160mg | Potassium: 683mg | Fiber: 19g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 3931IU | Vitamin C: 6mg | Calcium: 50mg | Iron: 5mg