Pumpkin and chocolate are a match made in heaven! These pumpkin brownies combine two of my favorite flavors to create the perfect fall dessert. This easy brownie recipe uses boxed brownie mix and is ready in about less than an hour!
- 1 box brownie mix with chocolate chips ½ cup chocolate chips if your mix doesn’t come with it
- ⅓ cup melted butter cooled
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup pumpkin pie filling or pumpkin puree add 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice and 3 tablespoon sugar to puree if using
- 6 oz cream cheese softened
Preheat oven to 350º F. The box directions will probably say 325º F, but 350º F works better to cook the pumpkin layer.
Prepare an 8 x 8 inch square baking dish by greasing with butter, shortening, or cooking spray. For best results, use a piece of parchment paper if your pan isn’t non-stick and/or you don’t know if your brownies will stick to the bottom (optional).
Make the brownie mix according to box directions using melted butter instead of oil and adding a teaspoon of vanilla extract.
In a separate bowl, mix the pumpkin pie filling or pumpkin puree with the cream cheese. If using puree, be sure to add the spice and sugar. I use a hand mixer until well combined and the cream cheese is smooth.
Pour half the brownie mix into the prepared pan, spreading to the edges. Top the brownie mix with all of the pumpkin mixture. You can spread it out or just leave it in spoonfuls. Top with the remaining brownie mix spreading to the edges and smoothing out the top.
Bake until done, about 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- I tested this recipe with both pumpkin puree and pumpkin pie filling and I just like the pumpkin pie filling better! If you choose to use puree, be sure to add the sugar and pumpkin pie spice.
- You can prepare brownies with oil as the directions say, but I think butter gives the brownies a richer taste and more body.
- I highly recommend Ghirardelli brand brownie mix. The flavor is amazingly chocolaty and it comes with the chocolate chips!
- Storage: Cover and store at room temperature for 3-4 day or in the refrigerator for up to a week. To freeze, wrap in plastic and place in freezer storage bags for up to 3 months.
Calories: 112kcal | Carbohydrates: 4g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 43mg | Sodium: 119mg | Potassium: 40mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 1301IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 22mg | Iron: 1mg