Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup
Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup is a hearty, delicious soup filled with chicken, green chile, corn, and black beans in a tomato broth. This soup is full of flavor without being too spicy. Serve it with fried tortilla strips and cheese for the ultimate Tex-Mex lunch or dinner!
Servings: 8 Servings
- 2 tablespoons mild flavored oil such as canola
- 1 small onion chopped (about ½ cup)
- 2 4- ounce cans chopped green chiles drained (if fresh is available, use about ½ cup)
- 2 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1 14- ounce can petite diced tomatoes undrained
- 2 10.5- ounce cans or cartons beef broth I use Campbell’s brand beef consomme works well too
- 2 10.5- ounce cans or cartons lower sodium chicken broth
- 3 cups tomato juice
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons red chile powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- 4 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons bottle steak sauce such as A-1
- 1 15- ounce can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 cup frozen corn thawed
- cooked and shredded chicken from one rotisserie chicken about 2-3 cups
For the Toppings
- 10 corn tortillas or more cut into strips
- 2 cups shredded cheddar Monterey Jack, or Mexican blend cheese
- Lime wedges
- Chopped cilantro
- Sour Cream
- Diced or Sliced Avocado
In a large stock pot or dutch oven, heat the oil. Saute onions, garlic, and green chile until softened, about 5 minutes.
Add beef broth, chicken broth, tomato juice, cumin, chile powder, salt, pepper, Worcestershire sauce, steak sauce, beans, and corn. Stir. Cover and simmer for about 45 minutes.
Add shredded chicken and simmer for 20 minutes more.
Serve with toppings.
Nutritional information provided is an estimate and doesn't include topping suggestions.
I love black beans in this soup, but you may like to use your favorite such as pinto or kidney, or a combination.
Calories: 352kcal | Carbohydrates: 42g | Protein: 16g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 30mg | Sodium: 1129mg | Potassium: 824mg | Fiber: 9g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 973IU | Vitamin C: 29mg | Calcium: 296mg | Iron: 4mg