Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup is a hearty, delicious soup loaded with chicken, green chile, corn, and black beans in a tomato broth. This soup is full of flavor without being too spicy. Serve it with fried tortilla strips and cheese for the ultimate Tex-Mex lunch or dinner!
I just adore soups, and this is one of my favorites. This Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup has all your favorite Tex-Mex flavors like red and green chile, tomato, and black beans. This soup is so hardy, we eat it as a main dish for dinner with a crisp iceberg salad on the side.
I created this recipe years ago because when my husband and I first moved away from the Southwest, we missed the spicy and earthy flavors we had grown up with.
The first version didn’t have corn or black beans…just chicken and lots of tortillas. But as our family grew, so did this soup! I wanted to make it a filling main dish meal.
I also wanted to create something that was easy enough to make after a long work day!
can i make this in the slow cooker?
You can easily convert this recipe to make in the slow cooker. Simply add all the ingredients and set on low for 6 to 8 hours. I prefer to add the cooked chicken at the end and for just long enough to heat through, but you can add it at the beginning if desired.
how can i make vegetarian tortilla soup?
If you prefer a meatless version of this soup, replace the chicken and beef broth with vegetable broth or stock. Omit the chicken, and add an extra can of black or pinto beans.
can i use turkey instead of chicken?
Yes! Using leftover turkey from the holidays is a great variation for this soup!
tips for making easy chicken tortilla soup
I like using a store bought rotisserie chicken for this recipe. But if you have a pound of uncooked chicken breasts, you can cook them in the soup mixture for about 20 minutes (or until cooked through). Remove the chicken to a bowl and shred with two forks. Add the chicken back into the soup for the last 15-20 minutes.
how do i make the fried tortilla strips?
Fried tortilla strips are a great way to use up any extra corn tortillas. Not only are they essential in this soup, they are also great in salads.
- Cut tortillas into strips.
- Heat about an inch of oil in a cast iron pan, or other heavy bottom skillet. I usually start at medium high then lower to medium. Sorry guys, I don’t use a thermometer!
- When the oil is heated, toss in a strip or two to test the temperature. If it bubbles around the edges, the heat is ready. Since all stoves vary, closely monitor the heat because the strips cook quickly.
- Add some strips in a single layer if possible.
- Let them cook for about 30 seconds. Flip them over or submerge them in the oil to cook evenly.
- They are done when they are crisp and golden brown.
- Quickly remove from oil and drain on several paper towels.
As you can see I didn’t do a great job of getting those strips in a single layer. But they ended up being cooked perfectly!
Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup
Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup is a hearty, delicious soup filled with chicken, green chile, corn, and black beans in a tomato broth. This soup is full of flavor without being too spicy. Serve it with fried tortilla strips and cheese for the ultimate Tex-Mex lunch or dinner!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
- Category: Soup
- Method: Easy
- Cuisine: Mexican/Tex Mex
- 2 tablespoons mild flavored oil such as canola
- 1 small onion, chopped (about ½ cup)
- 2 4-ounce cans chopped green chiles, drained (if fresh is available, use about ½ cup)
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 14-ounce can petite diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 10.5-ounce cans or cartons beef broth (I use Campbell’s brand beef consomme works well too)
- 2 10.5-ounce cans or cartons lower sodium chicken broth
- 3 cups tomato juice
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons red chile powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- 4 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons bottle steak sauce such as A-1
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- cooked and shredded chicken from one rotisserie chicken (about 2-3 cups)
For the toppings:
- 10 corn tortillas (or more) cut into strips
- 2 cups shredded cheddar, Monterey Jack, or Mexican blend cheese
- Lime wedges
- Chopped cilantro
- Sour Cream
- Diced or Sliced Avocado
- In a large stock pot or dutch oven, heat the oil. Saute onions, garlic, and green chile until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add beef broth, chicken broth, tomato juice, cumin, chile powder, salt, pepper, Worcestershire sauce, steak sauce, beans, and corn. Stir. Cover and simmer for about 45 minutes.
- Add shredded chicken and simmer for 20 minutes more.
- Serve with toppings.
To Fry Tortillas:
Heat an inch of canola or vegetable oil in a heavy bottom skillet. Add strips in one layer and cook until desired crispness. Instead of trying to flip the stips over, I submerge the strips slightly with the spatula. Drain on paper towels and salt immediately.
Nutritional information provided is an estimate and doesn’t include topping suggestions.
I love black beans in this soup, but you may like to use your favorite such as pinto or kidney, or a combination.
Keywords: Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup, Tex Mex, Soup Recipe
If you made this Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup, or any other recipe on the blog, don’t forget to leave a rating and a comment below. I love hearing from my readers! You can also find me on Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest!