This cheesy Baked Ravioli recipe is a satisfying Italian inspired dish the whole family will love! It’s made with ground beef, store bought ravioli, and baby spinach for added nutrition. This dish comes together in less than an hour making it perfect for weeknight or weekend cooking. Add a salad and a crusty loaf of bread and this meal is ready for company!
Honestly-I could live on Italian and Mediterranean inspired dishes like this Baked Ravioli. It's one of my favorites for several reasons:
- it's cheesy
- it can be made ahead
- it's easy to make
- it's filling
- it kinda looks like pizza-my other favorite food
- it's cheesy (ok-I already said that)
- everyone loves it
how do i make baked ravioli?
Please read the complete instructions found in the recipe card below.
It's always best to start by pre-heating the oven, gathering your ingredients, and prepping your vegetables. The only things that needs to be cut for this recipe are the onions and garlic.
Brown the ground beef then set it aside on a plate. In the same skillet, add the onions and cook until they are softened. Add the garlic for just a minute, then you're going to add the crushed tomatoes, chicken broth, balsamic vinegar, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper, and the ravioli. Bring it to a boil then reduce the heat to low, cover the skillet and simmer until the ravioli is tender.
When the ravioli is tender, return the cooked beef to the skillet. Stir in the spinach in two batches. When the spinach has wilted, pour the ravioli mixture into a 9 x 13 casserole dish. Scoop ricotta evenly over the top then sprinkle on the mozzarella and parmesan cheeses.
Broil the ravioli in order to get the cheese that deep golden brown that looks just like pizza! Top with fresh basil leaves.
try these other easy Mediterranean inspired recipes!
Variations to making Baked Ravioli
- Use different cheeses-you can try different cheeses for this recipe, as long as they have a nice melting quality. If you don't like ricotta, leave it out.
- Don't like spinach? Leave it out.
- Prefer a slow bake? Instead of using the broiler (which really speeds up the melting process) you can easily set the oven to 350 degrees and bake for 20 minutes, or until the cheese is melted.
how do i make baked ravioli ahead?
Prepare the recipe as usual. After topping it with cheese, cover it and leave it in the refrigerator up to 8 hours or overnight. To heat the dish, bake for 45 minutes to one hour in a pre-heated 350 degree oven-or until completely heated through. Turn heat to broil and cook until cheese is bubbly and deep golden brown.
CLICK ANY PHOTO TO PIN THE RECIPE!
- 1 lb 85% lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon mild flavored oil like olive or canola
- 1 medium red onion or sweet yellow onion, cut in half crosswise then sliced thinly
- 3 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 28-oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup chicken broth canned or homemade
- 2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 20 oz. package refrigerated four-cheese ravioli (I used Buitoni brand)
- 1 5oz. package baby spinach
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- Fresh basil leaves torn (optional)
- Preheat oven to broil. Place rack about 9 inches from heating element or in the center. Coat a 9 x 13 inch casserole dish with cooking spray; set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add beef and cook until browned and no longer pink. Drain off fat and set cooked beef on a plate; set aside.
- Add oil to pan, returning heat to medium high. Add onions and cook (stirring occasionally) until tender, about 10 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook for one minute.
- Add crushed tomatoes, chicken broth, balsamic vinegar, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper to skillet. Sir until well combined. Stir in ravioli, bring mixture to a boil, then cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer until ravioli are tender, about 8-10 minutes.
- Return beef to skillet, stirring to combine. Add spinach in two batches, stirring until wilted.
- Pour ravioli mixture into prepared casserole dish. Scoop six spoonfuls of ricotta cheese evenly over the top. Sprinkle mozzarella and parmesan cheeses over.
- Broil in preheated oven until cheese is melted and deep golden brown -about 6 minutes (or desired doneness). Top with fresh basil leaves.
If you made this Baked Ravioli, or any other recipe on the blog, don't forget to leave a rating and a comment below. I love hearing from my readers! You can also find me on Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest!