When the weather turns cold, turn to this comforting and Easy Onion Soup to warm you up. This onion soup is loaded with sweet onions, beef broth, and a surprise ingredient—beer! It’s topped with toasted baguette slices and yummy melted Swiss cheese. This recipe is an easy and delicious family dinner!
Easy Onion Soup is a re-creation of the classic and familiar French Onion Soup. My husband and I both love this soup and if it’s on the menu at a restaurant, we almost always order it.
In fact, we love it so much, I figured I better learn how to make it at home. Can imagine my delight when I discovered how easy it is to make?
Is this recipe a French Onion Soup?
French Onion Soup recipes vary and are made with caramelized onions and beef broth. It’s usually topped with a crouton (a toasted slice of French baguette) and baked in a crock that’s been covered in Gruyère cheese.
This soup meets most of those requirements. Instead of Gruyère, I’ve opted for Swiss. And I’ve added a little something special….dark beer!
I love cooking with beer! I think it’s a great flavor enhancer and adds a nice richness to a simple soup with only a few ingredients.
What if I don’t like beer?
This soup will not taste like beer, but you can replace the beer with more beef broth if it’s not your thing!
What are the best onions for Easy Onion Soup?
This recipes calls for yellow onions, but you can experiment with sweet onions or red onions or a mixture of two or three.
What is the best cheese for Easy Onion Soup?
This recipe calls for Swiss cheese because it’s a great melting cheese that’s affordable and widely available at most grocery stores. If you can find Gruyère or Emmental, give it a try!
Do I need a special crock or bowl to serve Easy Onion Soup?
Any broiler proof bowl will work to melt the cheese, but I have found the crocks to be the best vessel. Alternatively you can skip the broiler and serve in a regular soup bowl with baguette slices and cheese on top. I serve it this way if we have leftovers.
Easy Onion Soup
- 6 medium yellow onions about 2.5 pounds sliced thin
- ⅓ cup butter
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1-12 ounce bottle amber or dark beer
- 6 cups beef broth
- 1 baguette cut into one inch thick slices
- 2 cups shredded Swiss or Gruyere cheese or a combination of both
- Salt and pepper to taste
To Prepare Croutons
- Pre-heat oven to 325. Cut bread into one inch slices. Place on a large cookie sheet. Bake for 20-30 minutes or until crisp.
Easy Onion Soup
- Cut onions in half then across the grain into thin slivers.
- Heat a large dutch oven (5 or 6 quart) over medium heat. Add butter to melt, then add onions. Cover pot and cook for about 10 minutes or until softened. Uncover pot then cook until onions are golden brown; about 45 minutes.
- When onions are lightly caramelized, add minced garlic, flour, paprika to pan. Stir to blend mixture together.
- Slowly add beer and 6 cups beef broth. Stir to combine. Bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Pre-heat broiler.
- To serve: divide soup among oven proof bowls and place on a cookie sheet. Top with a slice or two of baguette, then top with cheese. Place soup in oven 2 or 3 inches away from heating element. Broil until the cheese is bubbly and lightly browned. Cooking times will vary so be sure to keep and eye on your soup! In my oven it takes about 6-8 minutes.
Other Soup Recipes you will enjoy