Nothing says comfort like a piping hot bowl of chili on a cool fall day! This version is made with ground beef and is similar to the chili kits you can buy in the grocery store. This is an all time family favorite and a tradition on Halloween and Super Bowl Sunday! This Beef Chili Recipe is a classic chili and makes a great weeknight meal because there’s not much to prepare, yet it delivers tons of flavor.
Is this a texas chili recipe?
Since I’m from Texas, I’m going to have to say yes, this is Texas chili. And yes, there are beans in this Beef Chili Recipe! I love beans and I’ve always eaten chili with beans. Some folks might say that chili from Texas doesn’t or shouldn’t have beans. Ha! If you want beans, add them in. If you don’t want beans, don’t add them in. It’s really that simple.
You can, of course, add whatever kind of beans you like. I personally like pinto, but you can add kidney, black beans, or even navy beans. I love having choices, don’t you?
Do I need any special ingredients to make Beef chili?
I included masa in this recipe because it adds a wonderful Tex-Mex flavor, but if you don’t want to purchase a large bag for just this one recipe, or you can’t find it in your grocery store, you can substitute cornmeal. You can even leave out the masa and still have a wonderfully delicious, spicy chili. This is what the package looks like:
I have included my Easy Taco Seasoning as the main spice ingredient. You may want to check out that post and make yourself a batch. But if you’re pressed for time, be sure you have 1/4 cup red chili powder, 2 tablespoons cumin, 2 teaspoons garlic powder, 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper, 1 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon black pepper.
Will this Beef chili recipe feed a crowd?
This recipe makes about 8 cups. If you’re planning to feed a crowd, I’d double the recipe and make lots of cornbread!
What are some good ways to eat this beef chili recipe?
You can really let the imagination of your taste buds run wild! Chili is delicious with rice, cornbread, saltine crackers, and corn chips.
Other great toppings include:
- Shredded Cheese
- White and Green Onions
- Sour Cream
- Diced Avocado
Don’t forget about using any left overs for chili dogs!
I hope you enjoy this Beef Chili Recipe!
Beef Chili Recipe
- 2 pounds ground beef I used ground sirloin
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 3 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 - 8 ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 - 6 ounce can tomato paste
- ¼ to ⅓ cup easy taco seasoning depending on your taste
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 15 ounce can pinto beans or your favorite beans drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons masa harina or corn meal
- Topping Ideas:
- Sour Cream
- Shredded Cheese
- Corn Bread
- Fritos or Tostada Chips
- Saltine Crackers
- Sliced Green Onions
- Chopped White Onions
- Brown ground beef in a large skillet, saucepan, or dutch oven. When meat is no longer pink, add onions and garlic. Cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add to tomato sauce, tomato paste, water, beef broth, and taco seasoning to beef mixture. Stir to combine.
- Partially cover pot and let simmer over low heat for one hour. If chili is getting dried out, add a bit more water or beef broth as necessary.
- In a small bowl, combine masa harina with ¼ cup warm water. Whisk until smooth; stir into chili.
- Add drained and rinsed beans to chili and stir. .
- Simmer over low heat, uncovered for 15-20 minutes.
- Serve with toppings of your choice.
If you made this Beef Chili Recipe, or any other recipe on the blog, don’t forget to leave a rating and a comment below. I love hearing from my readers! You can also find me on Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest!