This Instant Pot Chicken Alfredo is your answer to what’s for dinner! When you’re craving something creamy, comforting, and hearty then look no further than this delicious dinner recipe! The best part? The sauce, pasta, and chicken all cook together in the Instant Pot.
Why you'll love it
It's easy to make. Just follow along with the step by step instructions for a delicious pasta Alfredo dinner that will rival that of your favorite restaurants! There's no pre-cooking involved with this recipe so it comes together quickly and without the fuss.
It's made with easy to find fresh and pantry ingredients. You may have many of these ingredients already in your pantry or refrigerator. If not, you won't have any trouble finding these readily available ingredients.
It's comfort food the whole family will love! My kids beg me to make this Instant Pot Chicken Alfredo for dinner. Everyone loves how creamy and cheesy it is. The chicken adds a nice flavor as well as some protein to balance out the meal.
It's a one pot meal! One pot meals are my absolute favorite! Cook everything in the Instant Pot, even the chicken! Less clean-up means more time for other things like precious family time!
Step by step instructions
Mince garlic, cut chicken in half crosswise and cut butter and cream cheese into cubes.
Scatter garlic and butter into the bottom of the pot. Add broth.
Add 1 cup heavy cream. Pour pasta into the liquid, submerging the pasta with a spoon. Don't stir the mixture.
Place the cut chicken over the top of the pasta. Submerge into the pasta/liquid mixture without stirring. Season with salt and pepper.
Close and lock the lid and cook on High Pressure for 6 minutes. At the end of the cooking cycle, let pressure release naturally for 5 minutes. Then, using the handle of a wooden spoon, press the steam release valve and release the remaining pressure. Use a kitchen towel to cover the valve to keep the steam from splattering all over the place. When the valve sinks back into the lid, you can safely remove the lid. Remove chicken to a cutting board and stir the pasta-it will be soupy! Don't worry, it will thicken up. Microwave the cream cheese then add it and the parmesan cheese to the pasta mixture, stirring to combine.
Shred or cut the chicken into bite sized pieces and add it back into the Instant Pot. Stir to combine. Add more heavy cream if you want it saucier, or add more cheese if you want it thicker.
Be sure you're familiar with your brand of pressure cooker before making this recipe. Read the safeguards and understand the controls and features. I made this in the Instant Pot Ultra 60 (6 quart).
Substitute fresh garlic for 1 ½ teaspoon of garlic powder.
Don't skip seasoning the chicken with salt and pepper. Otherwise it will be quite bland.
It's important to use one pound of fresh chicken. Using more or less will result in under or over cooked meat. This recipe wan't tested with frozen breasts, so if you try it that way, please leave me a comment letting everyone know your tips!
You can skip the chicken altogether, if desired. Or, add some leftover grilled or rotisserie chicken. Just cut or shred and add to the pot when you open the lid (after the pasta has cooked). Stir to combine and place the lid back on and let it sit for a couple minutes (if the chicken is cold, this will help warm it up).
If you prefer fettuccine noodles, break them in half first before adding to the Instant Pot.
I cover the steam release valve with a kitchen towel when releasing steam. It will keep the steam from splattering all over your counter top. Also, use the handle of a wooden spoon, not your hand, to release steam. The steam is very hot and can cause burns if not careful.
Sauce will continue to thicken upon standing.
More Easy Main Dishes
Instant Pot Chicken Alfredo
- 3 tbsp butter cut into small cubes
- 3 cloves garlic large, minced
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 ¼ cup heavy cream divided
- 8 oz farfalle pasta
- 1 lb chicken breasts cut in half crosswise
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 ½ cup parmesan cheese finely grated, divided
- 2 oz cream cheese softened in microwave for 30 seconds
- Scatter butter and garlic in the bottom of the pot.
- Pour in chicken broth and 1 cup of heavy cream. Reserve ¼ cup cream for later.
- Pour the pasta over the liquid, pressing to submerge as much of the pasta as possible. Don’t stir.
- Season both sides of chicken with salt and pepper. Place chicken on pasta, pressing to submerge the chicken into the liquid/pasta mixture. Don’t sitr. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Close and lock the lid. Be sure the valve is in the sealing position.
- Select Manual or Pressure Cook to High. Use the dial to set the time to 6 minutes. When the cooking cycle has finished, allow the IP to naturally release for 5 minutes.
- Press Cancel. Manually release the remaining pressure by pressing the steam release valve. For best results, cover the valve with a kitchen towel and use the end of a wooden spoon to press the valve down to avoid burning your hand-the steam will be hot! When the float valve sinks back into the lid, it’s safe to open the lid.
- Microwave cream cheese until very soft, about 30 seconds.
- Open the lid and remove the chicken to a cutting board. Stir the pasta mixture (it will be quite liquidy, but will thicken up). Add 1 cup parmesan cheese and softened cream cheese. Stir until well combined.
- Shred or chop the chicken into bite sized pieces and add it back to the Instant Pot. Stir.
- If you want it “saucier” add some of the remaining heavy cream, a tablespoon of two at a time, stirring after each addition. If you want to thicken up the sauce, add more cheese. Use any remaining cheese to top the pasta before serving.