Nothing beats a homemade recipe like this one for Easy Sloppy Joes. This version is made with ground beef that's coated in tangy-sweet sauce that's made spiced with ancho chili powder. If you need dinner in a hurry, then look no further than this dish that's ready in about 20 minutes.
Why you'll love it
It's quick and easy. You'll love being able to get a filling dinner on the table in about 20 minutes, especially one the whole family will love.
It's made with easy to find ingredients. I'm a big fan of quick meals that come together without the fuss. Most of the time, I already have what I need to get this on the table without a trip to the grocery store.
It's just like the classic Sloppy Joe recipe you grew up with, but with a slight riff. This version is made with ancho chili powder that add a smokey heat to the dish. It's a variation we love, but you can certainly substitute with regular chili powder if that's what you have on hand.
Step by Step Instructions
Easy Sloppy Joes are so easy to make! Just gather and prep ingredients. Make the sauce, set aside.
Heat oil in a skillet. Add onions and sauté until softened and slightly caramelized, about 5 minutes. Add meat and cook until browned.
Add sauce and season with salt and pepper. Cook until ground beef is completely cooked and sauce has thickened slightly.
Toast hamburger buns and top with meat mixture and sliced pickles if desired.
Substitute with ground turkey instead of ground beef.
Add one can drained and rinsed black or pinto beans. Use one pound of ground beef instead of 20 ounces.
Much of the flavor of the sauce will come from the BBQ sauce you use, so be sure to use one you love. We like to use both sweet and tangy flavors, or a mixture of the two!
What goes good with Easy Sloppy Joes? Try these easy side dishes with this Easy Sloppy Joes Recipe:
Other Family Favorites!
Easy Sloppy Joes
- ½ cup BBQ sauce your favorite kind
- 4 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 teaspoon beef concentrate like Better than Bouillon
- 2 teaspoon ancho chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoon water
- 1 ¼ pounds ground beef 85%-90% lean
- 1 teaspoon oil such as canola
- 1 cup yellow onion chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 4 Hamburger buns buttered and toasted.
- 2 whole pickles sliced; or pre-sliced
- Chop onions, set aside. Mix BBQ sauce, ketchup, beef stock concentrate, ancho chili powder, salt, pepper, cornstarch, and 2 tablespoon water. Set aside.
- On medium, heat oil in a cast iron or non-stick skillet. Sauté onions until softened or slightly caramelized, about 5 minutes.
- Add beef to pan, breaking up with a spoon or spatula. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and cook until browned and almost cooked through.
- Add sauce to beef mixture. Stir to combine. Simmer on low heat until beef is cooked through and sauce is slightly thickened, about 3-4 minutes.
- If desired, brush softened butter over tops of buns before toasting.
- Spoon ¼ meat mixture onto each of 4 buns. Serve with pickles.