This Mediterranean Breakfast Egg Cups recipe is a healthy way to get a protein packed meal when you’re in a hurry! This version is baked and is a perfect make ahead idea for busy mornings. Also great for keto and low carb dieters.
Why You’ll Love it
It’s quick and easy to make! Mornings can be hard enough! Don’t make them harder by trying to make a complicated breakfast for the family. This mix-and bake recipe is simple enough for beginning cooks and is loved by kids and adults alike.
It’s made with easy to find fresh and pantry ingredients. You won’t have any problems finding these basic fresh and pantry items. Jarred roasted red peppers keep well so I almost always have a jar on hand for recipes like this one.
You can make them ahead! Make these breakfast egg cups the day or night before so you can have a grab and go breakfast. Just pop them in the microwave until warm for a protein packed start to your day.
Better than a sugary breakfast. Sometimes starting your day with something sweet isn’t the right choice. Just one of these Mediterranean Egg Breakfast Cups has about 7 grams of protein and only 1 gram of sugar. If you want to know more about eggs, check out this nutritional info from the Egg Nutrition Center.
Step by Step Instructions
Gather ingredients. Place rack in center of oven and preheat to 350º F. Line a 12 cup muffin tin with paper liners, or spray with nonstick cooking spray.
Chop roasted red bell pepper and the white and light green parts of the green onions finely. Cut the tops diagonally and reserve them to use as garnish.
Crack eggs into a large bowl. Add feta, mozzarella, red peppers, green onions, water, and salt and pepper. Mix well.
Ladle egg mixture into cups filling about ¾ of the way. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until set.
It’s easy to change up the flavors! If you don’t have any mozzarella cheese on hand, simple switch with what you do have. Try cheddar, Monterrey Jack (with pepper) provolone or Swiss. While feta gives this dish that tangy Mediterranean flavor, you can replace it if it’s something you don’t like.
This Mediterranean Breakfast Egg Cups recipe is a great option when you want something vegetarian. However, you can add some cooked, crumbled sausage or bacon if you’re a meat lover!
To Make them ahead…You can bake these a day or two ahead. Just store covered in the refrigerator until needed. Microwave 2 for about one minutes on high. You can make the egg mixture ahead as well. Store in a bowl, covered in the fridge. If you want to keep them in the muffin tins, omit the paper liners and use non-stick spray. Use within 8 hours.
More Mediterranean Inspired Recipes
Mediterranean Breakfast Egg Cups
- Cooking Spray or 12 Muffin Liners
- ¾ cup finely chopped roasted red bell pepper homemade or from a jar
- ½ cup finely chopped green onion white and light green parts only; reserve tops for garnish
- ½ cup feta cheese crumbled
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- 10 eggs beaten
- 2 tbsp water
- ½ tsp salt and pepper or to taste
- Place rack in center of oven and preheat to 350º F. Line a 12 cup muffin tin with paper liners, or spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Chop roasted red bell pepper and green onions, set aside
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs. Add chopped roasted bell pepper, chopped green onions, crumbled feta, shredded mozzarella cheese, water, and salt and pepper.
- Spoon egg mixture into muffin cups with a ladle. Fill cups about ¾ cup full.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until set.
- Enjoy warm!