Lemony Blueberry Muffins make a great grab-and-go breakfast or an afternoon snack with a cup of tea or coffee. There’s a hint of almond and lemon for a twist on this classic bakery favorite.
Is there a better way to perk up a cold, wet dreary winter day than to bake a batch of Lemony Blueberry Muffins? I think not.
Sweet and tender, these fruit studded muffins are so light and moist, you’ll forget all about your winter blues. For a little while at least. Who knows, this little taste of summer might have you dreaming about flip-flops and tank tops.
While we’re on the topic of blueberries, let’s not forget that blueberries are good for you! How good? Really good. Blueberries are:
- a potent antioxidant
- full of vitamin c
- a good source of fiber
Now, I’m not saying these muffins are a health food! But you can interpret this post any way you like.
If your mixer is ready, let’s do this! (I didn’t break out my stand mixer for this one, I just used my old hand mixer.)
First, you want to cream the butter and sugar together until it’s light. Then you’ll add the eggs, one at a time, mixing after each addition. Add some almond extract.
Next come the dry ingredients-sift them together and add about half to the creamed mixture. Mix on low to incorporate. Then add the milk, mixing to combine. Finally, add the other half of the dry ingredients. Mix to combine, then stop mixing. Don’t over mix! This is super important. Over mixing will create tough, not light muffins.
Here’s the batter right before adding the blueberries.
Time for the blueberries! Take about 1/2 cup of blueberries and mash them up, then mix in. Fold in the remaining whole berries and lemon zest.
Lemon and blueberries are a match made in heaven!
Line a standard muffin tin with 12 liners. Fill the liners all the way to the top. Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for 30 minutes.
MMM…get the butter
Try to eat just one!
I enjoyed my muffin while it was still warm from the oven, but you can let them cool and store them loosely covered for a day or two.
Want the fun to continue?
Drizzle the muffins with a Lemon Glaze! Mix 2 cups of powdered sugar with 3 to 4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice.
lemony blueberry muffins
These Lemony Blueberry Muffins make a great grab-and-go breakfast or an afternoon snack with a cup of tea or coffee. There’s a hint of almond and lemon for a twist on this classic bakery favorite.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 12 muffins
- Category: Muffins
- Method: Easy
- Cuisine: Continental
- 1/2 cup softened butter (I used unsalted)
- 1 1/4 cups sugar (I used organic and loved the result)
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 cups fresh blueberries, picked over, washed, and patted dry
- Zest of one large lemon (about one tablespoon). Reserve lemon if making the lemon glaze.
- 3 teaspoons sugar
Lemon Glaze (optional)
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 to 4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cream the butter and sugar together until light.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- Stir in almond extract.
- Sift the flour, salt, and baking powder together. Add half to the creamed mixture, mixing only until combined.
- Add the milk, mixing to combine.
- Add the other half of the dry ingredients, mixing only until combined. Don’t over mix!
- Smash 1/2 cup blueberries with a fork. Mix into the batter.
- Fold in the remaining whole berries and lemon zest.
- Line a standard muffin pan with 12 liners. Fill the liners with batter, then sprinkle with a little sugar. Bake for about 30 minutes.
Lemon Glaze (optional)
Mix two cups powdered sugar with 3 to 4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice. Drizzle over muffins.
- Ovens vary, so baking times may vary as well. To check for doneness, insert a toothpick into the muffin. If it comes out clean (or with a crumb or two on it) it’s done! If the toothpick is coated with batter, it needs more time to bake.
- Nutritional information is an estimate.
Keywords: muffins, blueberry muffins, breakfast, snack
If you made these Lemony Blueberry Muffins, or any other recipe on the blog, don’t forget to leave a rating and a comment below. I love hearing from my readers! You can also find me on Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest!
pin now make later!