Easy Irish Soda Bread is a quick and easy way to get homemade bread on the table-even on a weeknight! This version isn’t sweet so it goes well with hearty soups and stews.
If you are a bread lover like me then you will absolutely love this Easy Irish Soda Bread. It’s quick and requires no yeast or kneading. If you can throw flour, salt, baking soda, and buttermilk in a bowl then you can make this bread.
The best thing of all is that once you form it into a ball, you just put it in a dutch oven, cover it with the lid, and bake it! Here’s the dough right before I scored it with a cross.
And here it is sliced and still warm from the oven.
Favorite Ways to Eat Easy Irish Soda Bread
- slathered with Kerrygold butter
- toasted and topped with your favorite jams or preserves
- with Guinness Beef Stew
- made into French Toast
Enjoy your Easy Irish Soda Bread and let me know what you think!Print
easy irish soda bread
Easy Irish Soda Bread in a Dutch Oven is a quick and delicious way to put homemade bread on the table, even on a weeknight! This version isn’t sweet, so it goes well with soups, stews, and butter!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings
- Category: bread
- Method: easy
- Cuisine: Continental
- 4 cups all purpose, unbleached flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 and ½ cups buttermilk (a few tablespoons more if needed)
- Kerrygold butter for spreading (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Line a 5 quart dutch oven with parchment paper.
- Add the dry ingredients to a large bowl. Stir to combine. I like to use a whisk.
- Slowly add buttermilk.
- Mix gently with a spoon or your hands. Don’t over mix or your bread will be tough! Dough should be sticky and shaggy—it will stick to your fingers. If it’s dry, add more buttermilk, one tablespoon at a time.
- Form dough into a round shape and place on parchment in the dutch oven.
- Using a sharp knife, cut a cross over the top of the dough. Be careful not to cut all the way through the dough.
- Cover and bake for about 40-45 minutes. Bread should be golden brown and have a crisp exterior.
- Cool in pan for 5 minutes. Slice and enjoy warm!
The following nutrition information is an estimate.
Keywords: bread, soda bread, easy bread recipe
If you made this Easy Irish Soda Bread, or any other recipe on the blog, don’t forget to leave a rating and a comment below. I love hearing from my readers! You can also find me on Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest!