Air fryer buffalo chicken bites is an easy recipe made with boneless, skinless chicken breasts. They are marinated in buttermilk and buffalo sauce then lightly breaded and cooked up perfectly crisp and tender.
Serve with my homemade blue cheese dressing recipe for the ultimate appetizer.
Air Fryer Buffalo Chicken Bites are a great alternative to traditional fried chicken recipes. Air frying is an increasingly popular cooking method due to the health benefits and deliciousness of the food it produces.
Air fryers use hot air instead of oil, which means no excess fat or calories! Air fryers also need less space than traditional deep fryers and come in more styles and sizes for your kitchen needs.
These Air Fryer Buffalo Chicken Bites are great because they're crispy and spicy without all the fat that fried foods usually have. These Air Fryer Chicken Bites are warm and delicious with just the right amount of spice!
These yummy buffalo chicken bites are one dish that will never come out dry or soggy when made in an air fryer because they're cooked at such high heat with very little moisture lost through evaporation. That's why these buffalo chicken bites are so delicious!
- Made with boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Marinated and lightly breaded
- Buffalo wing flavor without being too spicy
- Fewer fat and calories than deep frying
Why it's great
Super easy - popping these spicy chicken bites in the air fryer could not be easier! These are perfect as an appetizer snack or main dish for any busy evening.
Spicy - when you are craving something spicy, this recipe will definitely hit the spot! They have just the right amount of spice without being too overpowering.
Kid-friendly - kids love chicken nuggets, so these are sure to be a huge hit!
Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts - you can also use boneless skinless chicken thighs if you prefer, but the meat may fall apart a bit more easily.
Wing Sauce - I used Frank's wing sauce for this recipe, but you can use any brand you like.
Breadcrumbs - I use a combination of panko and dry, seasoned breadcrubs. This keeps it light and crispy. You can experiment with your favorite, just be sure to add plenty of seasoning if you choose plain.
Buttermilk - the key to making these chicken nuggets tender is letting them marinate in buttermilk.
How to make air fryer buffalo chicken bites
Step One: In a large bowl, combine buttermilk, wing sauce, and garlic and onion powders. Add cut-up chicken pieces and let marinate in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
Step Two: In a shallow dish, combine panko, garlic and herb bread crumbs, and salt and pepper. Stir to combine. Remove chicken from the marinade letting any excess liquid drip off. Toss in bread crumb mixture, coating all sides.
Step Three: Preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees F. Spray basket with cooking spray. Place breaded chicken in the basket, spacing them evenly apart. Spray top of chicken with cooking spray. Cook for 9 minutes or until chicken is cooked through (about 165 degrees F internal temperature).
Remove chicken from the air fryer to a plate. Drizzle with hot honey or more wing sauce, or serve alongside your favorite dipping sauce.
Place chicken pieces on a baking sheet and bake in a 400 degree F oven for about 20 minutes.
- Air fryers vary. Be sure you're familiar with your brand and how it cooks. I make this recipe in the Cosori XL.
- Make sure to use a meat thermometer to check the chicken for doneness.
- Cook time may vary depending on how big your chicken pieces are.
- Add ¼ to ½ cup dry parmesan cheese (green can) to the bread crumb mixture for added flavor.
- Marinate the chicken for up to 24 hours. This is a great way to get a head start on the recipe.
Serve your air-fried buffalo chicken bites with ½ cup my homemade Ranch salad dressing mixed with one tablespoon wing sauce.
You can also serve your chicken bites with my blue cheese dressing or celery and carrot sticks.
Pair with my air fryer baked potatoes.
Try with these my loaded mashed potatoes.
Also great on a salad or with a side of roasted veggies.
Helpful tools and equipment
Storage and reheating
Store your chicken bites in the fridge in an air-tight container for up to 5 days.
You can also freeze your leftover buffalo chicken bites for up to three months.
To reheat from refrigerated: you can reheat your chicken in the air fryer for about 5 minutes or until warmed through. You can also reheat them covered in the microwave.
To reheat from frozen: defrost the chicken bites overnight in the refrigerator. Then reheat them according to the directions above for heating from refrigerated.
How to make buttermilk
If you find that you have all the ingredients to make the recipe but you just don't have any buttermilk, you can try making you own.
All you need is 1 tablespoon lemon juice for every 1 cup milk. Combine them in a measuring cup and let stand for 10 minutes!
Want to read more about it? Check out this post from Culinary Hill.
No, you do not always need to preheat your air fryer, but it does help your food to cook faster if you do.
Preheating your air fryer will depend on the cooking temperature and is usually between 3 and 5 minutes. When you take a few extra minutes to preheat your air fryer, the airflow will be at the proper levels, and your food will end up perfectly crispy.
This will depend on how large your chicken pieces are. Air Frying time can range from 3 to 10 minutes, depending on the size of your chicken pieces. It's always best to use a meat thermometer to check if the chicken is done.
More Air Fryer Recipes
- Corn on the Cob
- Waffle Fries
- Baked Potatoes
- Whole Chicken
- Frozen Biscuits
- Bang Bang Cauliflower
- Turkey Meatballs
- Frozen Chicken Wings
- Frozen Brussels Sprouts
Air Fryer Buffalo Chicken Bites
- 1.5 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ¼ cup wing sauce such as Franks
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- ¾ cup garlic and herb bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- Nonstick avocado or olive oil cooking spray
- Hot Honey for drizzling or dipping
- Cut chicken into 2 inch pieces (pieces should be big enough for two bites).
- In a large bowl, combine buttermilk, wing sauce, and garlic and onion powders. Add cut up chicken pieces and let marinate in the fridge for at least an hour.
- In a shallow dish, combine panko, garlic and herb bread crumbs, and salt and pepper. Stir to combine. Remove chicken from the marinade letting any excess liquid drip off. Toss in bread crumb mixture, coating all sides.
- Preheat air fryer to 400 degrees F. Spray basket with cooking spray. Place breaded chicken in the basket spacing them evenly apart. Spray top of chicken with cooking spray. Cook for 9 minutes or until chicken is cooked through (about 165 degrees F internal temperature).
- Remove chicken from air fryer to a plate. Drizzle with hot honey or more wing sauce, or serve alongside in a dipping bowl.