This creamy Cajun Sauce recipe is a quick and simple condiment that tastes great spread on burgers, crab cakes, or as a dip for shrimp and french fries. Use your favorite creole seasoning or a homemade creole seasoning to create this spicy sauce the whole family will enjoy.
My Louisiana Rub Recipe is the perfect homemade New Orleans inspired spice mix to use for this this delicious dip!
Why you'll love it
Minimal effort - the best part of this creamy cajun sauce recipe is how easy it is to make. No cooking required and it's ready in a couple of minutes.
Lots of flavor - this simple sauce is loaded with spicy flavor and is perfect for seafood lovers.
Easy to find simple ingredients - chances are you already have the pantry staples to make this delicious sauce.
Versatile - you can do so much with this Cajun dipping sauce! Serve it as a dip for shrimp, spread it on crab cakes or baked fish, liven up a classic burger, or a turkey sandwich.
Scroll to the bottom of the post for printable Cajun sauce recipe card.
Mayonnaise - I used regular mayo, full fat version. You can choose your favorite such as vegan mayo or low fat.
Cajun seasoning - I used my Louisiana rub recipe, which is just a homemade cajun seasoning. Grocery store versions like Slap Ya Mama or Old Bay Seasoning are also really good.
Garlic powder and paprika - I like to add extra garlic for flavor and paprika for color. You can also add some onion powder and celery seed or celery salt. Fresh garlic that's been finely minced is also a great addition, but just use a little bit to avoid the strong flavor to take over.
Cayenne pepper - this is what gives the Cajun sauce that extra kick. You can use hot sauce, crushed red pepper flakes, or leave it out if you find your Creole seasoning has enough kick.
Tomato paste - I really like the added flavor tomato paste gives the sauce. You can you more if you prefer more tomato flavor. I have started buying tomato paste in the tube and love how easy it is to use. I use Amore brand.
Salt and black pepper are optional. You should taste the sauce first because the seasonings may be salty enough already.
Add mayo, spices, and tomato paste to a medium bowl. Mix well, until thoroughly combined.
For best results, chill in the refrigerator for about an hour before serving. However, it's ready to serve as soon as it's mixed up.
- Experiment with different amounts of spices to find the level right for you.
- Chopped fresh herbs like cilantro and fresh parsley would make a nice addition to this creamy sauce.
- Add a squeeze of fresh lemon juice or lime juice for a brighter flavor.
- A small bowl or ramekin makes a great serving dish.
It's bold and spicy, but just how bold and spicy is up to you! The creamy texture compliments its zest for an addicting condiment you'll want to eat with everything!
How to store
Store leftover sauce in an airtight container in the refrigerator for several weeks.
Freezing is not recommended.
What tastes good with Cajun sauce?
- Any kind of potato tastes great with cajun sauce! Try it with kettle chips, waffle fries, steak fries, and tater tots. It's also a favorite way to add flavor to mashed potatoes.
- Don't leave chicken or beef out of the equation either! Chicken nuggets, chicken wings, turkey meatballs, BBQ chicken sandwiches, and brisket all pair well.
CLICK HERE to have recipes delivered via email!
The Easiest Cajun Sauce
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoon Louisiana Rub Recipe or Cajun seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder or onion powder, or ½ teaspoon of both
- 1 teaspoon paprika smoked or regualr
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper or a couple drops hot sauce
- 2 teaspoon tomato paste
- Fresh squeezed lime or lemon; chopped herbs like parsley and cilantro optional
- In a bowl, add mayo, spices and tomato paste. Mix well, until thoroughly combined.
- For best results, refrigerate for about an hour before serving. However, it's ready to serve as soon as it's mixed up.
Did you make the recipe? Share a tip here!