These air fryer frozen French fries are cooked perfectly crisp and crunchy! This simple recipe uses frozen, packaged fries for a quick snack or side dish with your favorite burger or sandwich. Fry sauce recipe included or try it with my Homemade Ranch Dressing.
This post is part of my beginning air fryer recipes series. Stay tuned for more easy and delicious recipes using this popular kitchen appliance!
What are the best air fryers?
- My personal favorite is the Cosori Max XL, 5.8 quart. I use this model to test all the recipes for this series. The basket is large and the cooking is quite even. It’s easy to use and affordable. Best of all, this basket is dishwasher safe.
- The Phillips Digital Twin Turbo Star XXL is one of the highest recommended air fryers on the market. It has a multitude of cooking functions and is big enough to cook a whole chicken. However, it’s one of the most expensive models out there.
- If you're only cooking for one of two, or you have very limited counter space, you may want to consider a compact size. The Dash Tasti Crisp 2.6 quart.has been reviewed over 19,000 times on Amazon! It’s sleek and easy to use and clean, but less powerful than full size models.
- Now that you know all about air frying, let’s make some air fryer frozen French fries!
- Made with frozen French fries.
- Very little clean up.
- Kid and family friendly.
- More affordable than fast food French fries.
- Less fat and calories than deep frying.
- Appetizer, snack or side dish idea.
Ingredients and substitutions
22 ounce bag of frozen waffle fries - I used Target’s brand, but there are other frozen waffle fries you can use, such as Alexia or Ore Ida. You can use straight cut fries or sweet potato waffle fries.
Avocado or olive oil spray - this is completely optional. Frozen waffle fries are already deep fried and the oil will release as they cook. However, I like a light spray of avocado oil to help the salt stick to the fries while cooking. I bought the one pictured at Costco. If you don’t have any on hand, simple omit.
Salt or your favorite seasoning - salt will keep the flavor neutral but add some all purpose seasoning or garlic powder if you like.
Fry sauce (recipe below) - or your favorite dip like ketchup or Ranch.
See recipe card for quantities.
Be sure you’re familiar with your brand of air fryer. I made these air fryer frozen French fries in the Cosori Max XL 5.8 quart.
Step 1 - Pre-heat the air fryer to 400 F.
Step 2 - Spray air fryer basket lightly with oil spray. Add the entire bag of frozen French fries to the basket. They will not be in a single layer and that's okay. Spray frozen French fries lightly and sprinkle on a little salt.
Step 3 - Set air fryer cook time to 25 minutes - you may not need to cook them for the full 25 minutes though.
Step 4 - At the 10 minute mark, pause the fryer, open the basket and toss the fries to ensure even cooking. This is a good time to determine how much longer you’ll need to cook them. I like mine somewhere between 20 and 25 minutes. If you like softer fries, cook for less time. You can pause the air fryer anytime during the cooking process to check on doneness.
Step 5 - Continue cooking waffle fries until desired golden brown and cooked to your desired crispness. Carefully remove the basket and serve waffle cut fries immediately.
Air fryer frozen French fries are perfect with just salt, but you may want to add some different flavorings to spice it up. Try a sprinkle of:
- All purpose seasoning salt such as Lawry’s
- Old Bay seasoning
- My Homemade Taco Seasoning
- Garlic powder
- Chopped fresh garlic, parmesan cheese, and chopped parsley
- Air Fryer Frozen French Fries are Gluten free - potatoes are naturally gluten free, but I always recommend checking ingredient labels of seasonings and packages before cooking
Storage and reheating
Air fryer frozen French fries are best served immediately. As they cool, they will release some moisture that will make the fries turn soggy.
To store any leftovers, keep them in the refrigerator.
To reheat leftovers, preheat the air fryer to 375 F. Spray fries or toss with a small amount of oil. Heat until crisp, about 5 minutes.
Waffle fries can also be reheated in the oven. Preheat the oven to 375 F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Bake until crisp, about 5 minutes.
What goes good with air fryer frozen French fries?
- Instant Pot Brisket
- Instant Pot French Dip Sandwiches
- Instant Pot BBQ Chicken
- Rotisserie Chicken Salad Sandwiches
- Preheating the air fryer will ensure more even cooking.
- Shake basket halfway through cooking. I like to use these tongs to turn the fries over. They have a silicone tip so they are safe for non-stick surfaces.
What dips go with waffle fries?
Obviously ketchup is a fine choice, but if you’re in the mood for something different try these great ideas.
How do I make homemade fry sauce?
You'll love this fry sauce because it's easy to make with just a few commom ingredients. This sauce is very similar to Yum Yum sauce and is good on so many things. I drizzle it on everything including this Meatballs and Rice recipe!
½ cup mayonnaise - vegan, avocado, low fat, or regular
½ cup sour cream or Greek yogurt
2 tablespoons tomato paste or ketchup
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon paprika
Salt and pepper to taste
Variations include adding a splash of pickle juice, tabasco or sriracha.
Add 1 or 2 tablespoons of water, to thin if necessary. Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to one week.
People also ask
Yes, making waffle fries in the air fryer is one of the best and easiest ways to make them.
No, it's perfectly fine and recommended to cook them without defrosting first.
Fries can come out soggy if they aren't cooked at a high enough temperature. They can also be soggy if the basket was too full. Be sure to check temperature settings and the amount of fries in the basket and adjust as necessary.
If you have leftovers, reheat them at 375 F for about 5 minutes or until crispy.
More Easy Air Fryer Recipes
- Air Fryer Crispy Whole Chicken
- Air Fryer Frozen Biscuits
- Air Fryer Bang Bang Cauliflower
- Air Fryer BBQ Chicken Thighs
- Air Fryer Chicken Fajitas
- Air Fryer Juicy Bratwursts
- Air Fryer Bean and Cheese Tostadas
Air Fryer Waffle Fries
- 22 ounce bag frozen waffle fries
- Cooking spray
- Salt or your favorite seasoning.
- ½ cup mayonnaise vegan, low fat
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoon ketchup or tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
- water to thin
- Pre-heat the air fryer to 400 F.
- Spray basket lightly with oil spray. Add the entire bag of fries to the basket. Spray fries lightly and sprinkle on a little salt (optional).
- Set air fryer cook time to 25 minutes - you may not need to cook them for the full 25 minutes though.
- At the 10 minute mark, pause the fryer, open the basket and toss the fries to ensure even cooking. This is a good time to determine how much longer you’ll need to cook them. I like mine somewhere between 20 and 25 minutes. You can pause the air fryer anytime during the cooking process to check on doneness.
- Continue cooking until golden brown and desired crispness is reached. Carefully remove the basket and serve waffle cut fries immediately.
- Mix all ingredients together until smooth.
- Wash hands before handling food
- Wash hands and utensils after coming in contact with raw meats
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds