If you love seafood but want to avoid the calories of traditional frying, this air fryer frozen shrimp recipe is a great alternative. You can even cook frozen shrimp in an air fryer without thawing them first! Air frying shrimp is healthy and quick. All you need is a few minutes and minimal ingredients to make some delicious shrimp!
So easy - you only need five basic ingredients and less than 10 minutes to make this recipe!
Healthy - cooking your shrimp in an air fryer is a healthier alternative to traditional frying because it uses less oil. You can use spray instead of oil for fewer fat and and calories.
Quick - thawing shrimp can take hours, but cooking them frozen is quick! You can have yummy shrimp on the table in just a few minutes.
Versatile - you can use this shrimp recipe for pasta dishes, tacos, and po'boys. Or just eat them plain or with some dipping sauce as an appetizer or snack.
Frozen Shrimp - it's best to use the pre-peeled and deveined shrimp that comes in a bag in the freezer section. You only need about a pound which is about 50 shrimp total.
Cooking spray or oil - I highly recommend using some sort of spray or oil. I like olive oil. However, you can skip this step if preferred.
Seasoning - use about a teaspoon of kosher salt and a half teaspoon of fresh cracked pepper or just a bit of each to taste. Add additional seasoning like garlic powder, Old Bay, Lawry's, etc., for fantastic flavor.
How to cook shrimp in an air fryer
Step One: Preheat the air fryer to 400 F for 5 minutes. Add frozen shrimp to bowl and toss with oil or oil spray until well coated. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and any additional seasoning to taste.
Step Two: Place frozen shrimp in an even layer in the air fryer basket. Air fry at 400 F for about 6-7 minutes or until 120 F internally. Larger shrimp will need more time.
- Air fryers vary so be sure you are familiar with how yours cooks.
- Check shrimp at the 4 minute mark to determine how much more cooking time you need.
- I don’t recommend cooking more than one pound at a time. If you need more, just cook in batches so you don’t overcrowd the basket. Cooking in a single layer will give the best results.
- If you adjust the cooking time, be sure to check shrimp often, as it cooks quickly and is easy to over cook.
- You can serve air fryer frozen shrimp in your favorite pasta dish such as my fettuccine Alfredo as an appetizer or snack.
- Serve with a dipping sauce like my homemade buttermilk ranch, cilantro garlic sauce, sriracha mayo, or chipotle lime crema.
- Keep it low carb and serve with my carrot and cucumber salad or cherry tomato caprese salad.
- Eat plain or with some lemon wedges for acidity to brighten the flavors.
Storage and reheating
You can refrigerate any leftover shrimp in a shallow airtight container for up to 4 days.
If you would rather freeze your leftover shrimp, you can place it in a heavy-duty freezer bag and freeze for up to 2 months.
Thaw overnight in the refrigerator, and use within a day. Reheating may cause the texture of the shrimp to become tough (overcooked), so adding it to salads is a great option.
Most asked questions
No, you do not! You can put your frozen shrimp directly in the air fryer. No need to wait for it to thaw! Have delicious shrimp done and ready to eat in under 10 minutes?
Temperatures may vary depending on your appliance, but according to this recipe, you should cook it at 400 degrees F.
Not all shrimp are from sustainable sources. For more information on what's being done to keep this delicious and healthy seafood available, check out Monterey Bay Aquarium.
More recipes you may enjoy
Air Fryer Frozen Shrimp
- 1 lb frozen raw shrimp 41-50 per lb, not the breaded kind
- 2-3 teaspoons oil spray or oil cooking spray like olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt or to taste
- ½ teaspoon fresh cracked pepper or to taste
- Any additional seasoning like garlic powder Old Bay, Lawry’s etc. to taste
- Preheat air fryer to 400 F for 5 minutes.
- Add frozen shrimp to bowl and toss with oil or oil spray until well coated. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and any additional seasoning to taste.
- Place frozen shrimp in the basket and spread out evenly.
- Air fry at 400 F for about 6-7 minutes or until 120 F internally. Larger shrimp will need more time.
- If you choose not to preheat your air fryer, you may need more time.
- If you cook more than one pound, cook in batches.
- It's best to stop air fryer and check shrimp to prevent overcooking.