Cozy up to a bowl of this white chicken chili made with cream cheese and Great Northern beans. You’ll love how easy it is to make, because it cooks up in the crockpot! This recipe is creamy with loads of flavor.
Why you'll love it
It's easy to make. What makes this white chili recipe so easy? The crockpot! I love slow cooker meals, don't you? Makes it so easy to pull dinner together.
It's made with easy to find ingredients. All the ingredients in this chili dish are easy to find at most neighborhood grocery stores.
It's the perfect weeknight meal the whole family will love. Chili is a classic comfort food because everyone loves something creamy and comforting for dinner. It's even more fun when everyone can add their own toppings like diced avocado and sliced jalepenos!
How to make slow cooker cream cheese chicken chili
Place chicken breast in the bottom of your crockpot insert. Season with salt and pepper. I like to be pretty generous and use kosher salt and fresh ground pepper. Sprinkle chicken with cumin, dried oregano, chili powder, and cayenne pepper.
Top with chopped onions, garlic, beans, green chiles, corn.
Pour in the broth. Stir without moving the chicken breasts.
Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or high for 3 to 4 hours or until internal chicken temperature reaches 165º F. Mine is usually done in 3 hours.
Remove chicken and chop or shred. Microwave cream cheese until very soft. Add to slow cooker and stir until well combined. Add heavy cream and shredded chicken. Cook for an additional 15 minutes on HIGH until creamy.
Recipe notes and tips
If you want to cook this chili on the stove, follow these directions:
Sauté onions and garlic in a tablespoon of oil over medium heat in a dutch oven or stock pot for about 5 minutes. Add seasonings, beans, green chiles, corn, and broth; stir. Cut each piece of chicken in half crosswise then add to pot. Simmer uncovered until meat is cooked through or registers 165ºF, about 30-40 minutes. When cooked through, remove and shred or chop. Add softened cream cheese and heavy cream; stir. Return chicken to pot and cook until thickened and creamy.
Be sure cream cheese is quite soft before adding to the soup. For best results, microwave for 30-60 seconds. Use a whisk to break up any large chunks.
Thicken soup by combining one tablespoon masa harina and 2-4 tablespoons water. What is masa harina? Masa harina is corn flour used to make corn tortillas. It works well to flavor and thicken chili.
Store leftover chili covered in the refrigerator for up to five days. For best results, store toppings separately.
More soup recipes
Thank you for reading this recipe! If you make it, I’d love for you to give it a ★ rating below. This lets me know what you like and want to see more of.
And since you made it this far, let’s connect on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest! I appreciate your support.
Crockpot Cream Cheese Chicken Chili
- 1.5 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper or to taste
- 1 small yellow onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2-15 oz cans Great Northern beans drained and rinsed
- 1-15 oz corn, canned drained or frozen, unthawed
- 2 - 4 oz cans chopped green chiles hot or mild or a mix, drained
- 3 cups chicken broth low sodium if preferred
- 4 oz cream cheese softened
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- Sour cream
- Shredded Cheese
- Sliced jalepeno
- Diced avocado
- Fresh lime juice
- Corn tortilla strips or tostada chips
- Place chicken breast in the bottom of your slow cooker insert. Season with salt and pepper. I like to be pretty generous and use kosher salt and fresh ground pepper. Sprinkle cumin, dried oregano, chili powder, and cayenne pepper.
- Add chopped onions, garlic, beans, green chiles, corn, and chicken broth. Stir without moving the chicken breasts.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or high for 3 to 4 hours. Internal chicken temperature should register 165º F.
- Remove chicken and chop or shred. Microwave cream cheese until very soft. Add to slow cooker and stir until well combined. Add heavy cream and shredded chicken. Cook for an additional 15 minutes on HIGH until creamy.
- Ladle into bowls and top with desired toppings.
Did you make the recipe? Share a tip here!