Turkey Taco Soup is a quick and easy soup recipe the whole family can enjoy. This version uses a taco seasoning packet to flavor the soup. If you love turkey chili, then you’re sure to love this easy soup for lunch or dinner.
Soups are a great way to feed your family because they are comforting, filling, and full of flavor! This version is packed with healthy beans and corn and is made lighter with ground turkey instead of ground beef. It’s also great if you’re short on time because it cooks up in about 30 minutes! If you love tacos like I do, then you’ll love this soup!
Ingredients in Turkey Taco Soup
Oil – Choose something with a mild flavor like vegetable or canola.
Ground Turkey – I love using ground turkey in soups because the texture is a bit softer than ground beef. If you prefer ground beef, then use that–I’m sure the original taco soup used ground beef since it’s a version of tacos! Ground chicken will work well too. You can also use shredded cooked chicken breast or store-bought rotisserie chicken.
Onions – Tex-Mex cuisine wouldn’t be complete without onions! However, you can leave them out if you prefer. I left onions out of many of my dishes for years because my son hated them and could spot them no matter how small I chopped them!
Broth – I like the richness of beef broth, but you can certainly use chicken or vegetable broth as a substitute.
Tomato Juice – The consistency of tomato juice works well in this soup, but canned crushed tomatoes make a great substitute.
Rotel – Rotel is the brand name for canned diced tomatoes with green chilies.
Beans – This recipe calls for canned black and pinto beans. Feel free to substitute with another type of bean such as kidney or navy.
Corn – I prefer frozen corn in this recipe, but canned corn will work too. You don’t need to thaw out the corn, just add it in frozen.
How do I make Turkey Taco Soup?
Please see printable recipe card below for full instructions.
- Gather all your ingredients
- Chop the onions.
- Add oil to a pan over medium heat. Toss in onions and ground turkey and cook until meat is no longer pink.
- Stir in taco seasoning packet and combine well.
- Add broth, tomato juice, drained beans, Rotel, and corn.
- Stir and let simmer for about 20 minutes, uncovered. You can simmer for longer, if needed. If you’re going to simmer for more than 30 minutes, partially cover the pot to retain moisture.
How do I make Taco soup in the crockpot?
It’s easy to convert this recipe to cook in the crockpot.
Cook ground meat, onions and taco seasoning then transfer to crockpot. Add the rest of the ingredients and set on high for four hours or low for 6 to 8 hours.
Can I make this recipe ahead?
This recipe is perfect to make ahead.
- Cook meat, onions, and add taco seasoning; let cool then store in the refrigerator until needed.
- Combine broth, juice, Rotel, beans, and corn in a bowl. Refrigerate until needed.
- Mix meat mixture and broth mixture together in a large stockpot, dutch oven, or crockpot.
- Heat until soup is hot, stirring occasionally.
Turkey Taco Soup is great on its own for lunch or dinner, but would pair well with a simple salad. It’s also great for pot lucks, parties, and tailgates.
For toppings, try these ideas:
- Sour Cream or Mexican Crema
- Diced Avocado
- Pickled Jalepeños
- Crushed Tortilla Chips
- Shredded cheddar, Monterrey Jack, or Mexican cheeses
Equipment needed to make this recipe
- Le Creuset Dutch Oven – this is the one I use. You can find a cheaper version here. A large stockpot like this one or this one is also a versatile piece all cooks should have!
- I love this crockpot because it programmable!
As an Amazon Affiliate, I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you!
Other popular soup recipes!
Turkey Taco Soup
Turkey Taco Soup is one of the easiest ground turkey recipes! Nothing is better than a quick soup the whole family can enjoy. This version uses taco seasoning to flavor the soup. If you love turkey chili, then you’ll love this easy soup for lunch or dinner.
- Prep Time: 10 Minutes
- Cook Time: 20 Minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 8 Servings 1x
- Category: Soup
- Method: Easy
- Cuisine: Mexican/Tex-Mex
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 lb ground turkey or (can substitute with ground beef or chicken)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 package taco seasoning mix or 4 tablespoons Homemade Taco Seasoning
- 3 cups beef broth
- 3 cups tomato juice
- 1 can Rotel
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained well
- 1 can pinto beans, rinsed and drained well
- 1–15 ounce package frozen whole kernel corn
- Crushed Tortilla Chips or Strips
- Sliced Avocado
- Sour Cream
- Shredded Cheddar or Monterey Jack Cheese
- Pickled or Fresh Jalepeño
- Thinly Sliced Cabbage
- Black Olives
- Pico de Gallo
- Fresh Lime Juice
- Add oil to a large stockpot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add turkey and onion and cook until meat is no longer pink.
- Add taco seasoning and stir to coat meat and onion mixture.
- Add broth, tomato juice, Rotel, black beans, pinto beans, and corn to pot, stirring to combine.
- Simmer for a minimum of 20 minutes, uncovered. If desired, cover pot and simmer for 40 minutes more.
Nutritional information provided is an estimate and doesn’t include optional toppings.
- Serving Size: 8 Servings
- Calories: 355
Keywords: ground turkey recipes, turkey chili, ground turkey soup, easy lunch soups, calories in taco soup with ground turkey, weight watchers