Sunbutter Cups are easy to make with just a few ingredients. These are perfect when the peanut butter cups craving hits, but you want something a little different. Also a great dessert idea for those who have peanut or tree nut allergies because the filling is made with sunflower seed butter instead of peanut butter!
For most of us, peanut butter is a given. I love it in so many foods--from savory chicken satay to the classic peanut butter cookie.
But for some, eating peanut butter and other tree nuts can be a life threatening ordeal. That's the case with my daughter, who was diagnosed with nut allergies earlier this year.
One of her favorite sweet treats was peanut butter cups. She told me the other day that she missed being able to eat them. Later that week I happened to be at Trader Joe's when I saw a package of sunflower seed butter cups. I bought them and she loved them.
Like any good food blogger would, I went to work right away trying to make my own copy cat version.
What ingredients are in sunbutter cups?
You'll love how easy this recipe is and that it only used a few ingredients that you probably already have on hand!
Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips - Feel free to use semi-sweet, milk chocolate, dark chocolate or a mixture. Candy melts or wafers work well for this recipe.
Sunflower Seed Butter - I use Sunbutter brand for this recipe.
Butter and Confectioner's Sugar (powdered sugar) - These two ingredients create a smooth, slightly sweet filling.
How do I make sunbutter cups?
Please see printable recipe card below for full instructions.
- Line muffin tin.
- Make Sunbutter filling.
- Melt half the chocolate then pour into liners. Refrigerate.
- Spoon filling onto chocolate layer. Refrigerate.
- Melt the remaining chocolate then spoon over sunbutter layer. Refrigerate until set.
Your layers should look something like this.
Have you ever tried silicon cupcake liners? I love using them for this recipe!
When the Sunbutter Cups have set up, they are ready to eat. Just peel the liner away, and enjoy.
Other Popular Dessert Recipes
Sunbutter Cups - Peanut Free Dessert
- 16 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips divided
- ½ cup sunflower butter such as Sunbutter brand
- 2 tablespoon butter softened
- ¼ cup heaping confectioner’s sugar; sifted
- Line a 12 cup muffin tin with cupcake liners.
- Mix sunflower butter, butter and confectioner’s sugar with an electric mixer until smooth; set aside.
- Melt half the chocolate (8 ounces) using one of the above methods.
- Pour enough melted chocolate to cover the bottom of each cupcake liner.
- Place muffin tin in the refrigerator for 5 minutes, or until the chocolate has set up.
- Drop about 2 heaping tablespoons of sunflower butter mixture on the chocolate (a melon baller works great for this). Smooth the top with the back of the spoon or an offset spatula. Slam the tin on the counter a couples of times to help flatten the tops.
- Place the muffin tin in refrigerator for 5 minutes to allow the sun butter mixture to chill.
- Melt remaining chocolate.
- Pour equal amounts of chocolate over each sun butter layer. Chill in refrigerator until set, about 15 minutes.