This quick, homemade Taco Sauce Recipe is mild and tangy. If you’re a fan of Taco Bell’s mild sauce, then give this one a try on your favorite Tex Mex recipe! This is great on Ground Beef Tacos and delicious with Beef Burritos.
I think ya’ll are starting to realize how much I love Mexican food! But what’s not love, right? Ok, I did grow up on the Texas/Mexico border, so these flavors are as familiar to me as hamburgers and hotdogs are to most.
I also know that you all love Mexican food! How do I know this? Well, Taco Bell was named America’s favorite restaurant, that’s how.
But before we get into that debate, let’s just all agree that we love Mexican food! And what goes great with Mexican food? A great sauce!
What ingredients are in taco sauce?
Corn Starch – This is used to thicken the sauce.
Tomato Paste – A concentrated punch of tomato flavor that serves as the base for this recipe.
White Vinegar – This will give the sauce that familiar tang.
Chili Powder – This is one of my favorite Tex-Mex ingredients! I put it in almost all of my Tex-Mex recipes. It has a nice smokey flavor that makes the sauce taste like it simmered for hours!
Ground Cayenne Pepper – You can adjust this to your preference. Just remember that a little bit goes a long way!
Garlic and Onion Powder – These seasonings will give this sauce another layer of flavor without overpowering it.
How do i make homemade taco sauce?
Please see printable recipe card below for complete instructions.
You’ll love how quick and easy this recipe is. You probably already have all of the ingredients in your pantry, so let’s go!
- Dissolve cornstarch in water.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, whisking to combine.
- Simmer for 15 minutes or until slightly thickened.
How long will this recipe keep?
This recipe will keep for at least one week. Keep it in the refrigerator in a mason jar or other container with a tight fitting lid. I prefer using a glass container, but plastic works too.
Other Popular Tex-Mex Recipes to use with this Taco sauce
What could be easier? Nada.
See you on Tuesday…Taco Tuesday, that is!
- 1 ½ cups water
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- ½ a 6 oz can of tomato paste about 4 tablespoons
- 1 ½ tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoons salt
- ground cayenne pepper: leave out completely for no heat use ½ teaspoon for medium heat and 1 teaspoon for hot!
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- In a medium saucepan, dissolve 1 teaspoon cornstarch in 1 ½ cups water.
- Add the rest of the ingredients (tomato paste through onion powder) to the pan, whisking to combine.
- Simmer for 15 minutes over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally.
- Serve warm, at room temperature or cold.
- Refrigerate unused portions for up to a week.