Don't wait for Tuesday to have tacos...try these Ground Beef Tacos as a quick and easy way to throw together a tasty and comforting dinner on any night! This recipe is packed with the Tex-Mex flavors we all know and love with the addition of papas or potatoes.
Why This Recipe Works
It's quick and easy! If you're looking for a tasty meal that can be ready in 30 minutes, then this recipe won't disappoint! This is a basic recipe that any beginning home cook can make! It was one of the first recipes I learned to make and it's also one of the most requested by my family!
It's made with easy to find pantry ingredients. Even though this recipe is made with basic ingredients, that doesn't mean it's lacking in flavor! The beauty of this recipe is that it's made with familiar ingredients, but has extraordinary taste! Delicious food shouldn't be hard to make or hard to find!
It's a comfort food the whole family will love. Tacos will be a staple at your house. It's one of those dishes that no one ever seems to get tired of. The great thing about this recipe is that it's made with my Easy Taco Seasoning, a homemade spice mix you make yourself! You can make it as spicy or mild as you like.
What Goes Into This Recipe
How to Make Ground Beef Tacos
Chop potatoes into half inch cubes. Boil in salted water until tender enough to be pierced with a fork, but not mushy. Drain potatoes in a colander and set aside.
In a teaspoon of oil, cook chopped onions until soft. Add chopped garlic and cook for one minute.
Crumble ground beef over onions and cook until no longer pink.
Sprinkle Easy Taco Seasoning over cooked meat. Mix thoroughly. Add cooked potatoes. Gently mix potatoes into meat.
Adjust salt and pepper to taste. Add more seasoning if desired.
Expert Tips for Making Ground Beef Tacos
Skip the potatoes. If you don't have any potatoes on hand, then by all means you can leave them out. You can also substitute a can of drained and rinsed black or pinto beans in place of the potatoes.
You choose the shell. I love these tacos with warmed corn tortillas. Just place them on the skillet or over the flame of a gas stove and warm them until pliable. You can also use flour tortillas if that's more your thing. We love this taco meat with crunchy taco shells too. Just warm them up according to the box directions!
If you're in more of a salad mood, serve this meat on top of a bowl of lettuce! It's a delicious lighter version of tacos!
Try ground turkey instead of beef. This recipe will work with ground turkey too.
Want it faster? Cook onions, garlic, and beef at the same time.
Store leftovers in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to three days.
More Easy Tex Mex Recipes to Try
Ground Beef Tacos
- 1 baking potato large, chopped into ½ inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 pounds ground beef or sirloin
- 1 tablespoon oil mild flavored like canola
- ½ cup onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- 2-3 tablespoon Easy Taco Seasoning or store bought taco seasoning packet
- 12 corn tortillas small flour tortillas, crunchy taco shells
- 2 cups grated cheese cheddar, Monterey Jack, pepper jack, colby
- 2 cups lettuce shredded
- tomato chopped
- jalepeños fresh or pickled
- black olives
- sour cream
- black olives
- Peel and dice potato into half inch cubes. Add the potatoes to a medium saucepan and fill with cold water until covered. Bring to boil, add salt then cook over medium heat until fork tender, but not mushy. Drain and set aside.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chopped onion and cook until softened, about 8 minutes. Add minced garlic, cook 1 minute more.
- Crumble ground beef into pan with onion and garlic. Brown meat until no longer pink. If fatty, drain fat.
- Turn heat to medium. Sprinkle 2-3 tablespoons of Easy Taco Seasoning over cooked meat. Stir well. If mixture seems dry, add a couple splashes of water to the pan. If using store bought taco seasoning, follow package directions. Add cooked potatoes and gently mix in. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Turn heat to low and prepare the tortillas or taco shells.
- Add your favorite toppings and enjoy!