This 30 minute creamy tortellini soup is the ultimate in comfort food. It's loaded with ground beef, tender cheese stuffed pasta, and full of tomato flavor.
Why you'll love it
This is a quick and easy dinner idea that even beginner cooks can make! You just need about 30 minutes and you're done, really. Need another 30 minute dinner idea? Try my Broccoli Cheese Soup!
Made with easy to find fresh and pantry ingredients.
It's a filling meal the whole family will love. Who doesn't love tortellini? We eat it all the time-it's so versatile, and I just love how quickly it cooks.
Add some bread and a salad for a delicious well rounded weeknight meal.
Heat oil in a large dutch oven or soup pot over medium heat. Add beef, onion, and garlic. Cook until meat is browned and onions are softened.
Add tomato paste, cook 2 minutes.
Add broth, tomatoes, bay leaves, and oregano. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
Add tortellini and simmer for 4-6 minutes, or until tortellini are tender but not mushy.
Remove the bay leaves. Stir in heavy cream and heat through.
Stir in parsley and top with cheese if desired.
Use Italian sausage, ground turkey or chicken in place of ground beef. Or try a half sausage and half ground beef. So many options here.
Leave the ground beef out for a vegetarian version. Try baby Bellas or button mushrooms in its place.
If you prefer a chunkier soup, add an entire 20 ounce package of tortellini. Experiment with different varieties.
Use half and half in place of heavy cream for a lighter version. Keep in mind that soup won't be quite as rich and creamy.
This soup is best eaten immediately, however it does store well too. To store: place soup in a tightly covered container and keep in refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat in microwave or on the stovetop.
More recipes you may want to try
Thank you for reading this recipe! If you make it, I’d love for you to give it a ★ rating below. This lets me know what you like and want to see more of.
This Creamy Beef Tortellini Soup is available as a web story- check it out!
Creamy Beef Tortellini Soup
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 lb ground beef 85% lean
- 1 cup onion chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 garlic cloves mince
- 6 ounce can tomato paste
- 4 cups chicken broth low sodium
- 28 ounce can whole tomatoes drained and chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 9 ounce package cheese tortellini fresh or frozen
- ⅓ cup heavy cream or half and half
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley or basil leaves chopped
- Cheese for topping parmesan
- Heat oil in a large dutch oven or soup pot over medium high heat. Add beef, onions, and garlic. Cook until meat is browned and the onions are softened, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add tomato paste, cook 2 minutes.
- Add broth, tomatoes, bay leaves, and oregano. Bring to a boil then reduce heat amd simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add tortellini and simmer for 4-6 minutes,or until the tortellini are tender but not mushy.
- Remove the bay leaves. Stir in the heavy cream and heat through.
- Stir in parsley and top with cheese if desired.