You'll love this perfectly crisp-tender oven roasted broccoli. This simple, healthy side dish is great on its own, or with your favorite grain, protein, or even added to salads. The lightly caramelized edges will have you hooked with just one bite! Cooks up in 30 minutes.
Why it's awesome
It's so easy to make! This recipe is almost as easy as turning the oven on! Great for beginning cooks.
Made with just 2 ingredients. All you need is broccoli and olive oil (and salt and pepper).
Cooks in less than 30 minutes. This quick side dish can cook up while you prep the rest of your meal.
It's good for you. Even your picky eaters will like it! When something healthy tastes good, it's a win win!
Ingredients and Substitutions
This simple roasted broccoli is made with just fresh broccoli and olive oil. Here's a few tips:
- Broccoli- use the freshest you can find. It should be deep green and firm to the touch. If the florets have started to turn pale and yellow, they are past their prime.
- Olive oil- I used a good quality extra virgin olive oil- I just love the taste! You can use any oil of your choosing, or even melted butter.
- Salt and pepper- I use kosher salt or sea salt that's ground about the same size as kosher salt. Table salt can work as well, the key is to sprinkle it evenly over the broccoli. I highly recommend fresh cracked pepper for the best taste.
Cut broccoli from the stalk into evenly sized florets. Wash under cold running water then pat them dry with paper towels.
Option 1: Place florets on sheet pan, drizzle with oil. Toss to distribute the oil, then season with salt and pepper.
Option 2: Place florets in a large bowl, drizzle with oil. Toss to distribute oil, the spread on the sheet pan. Sprinkle evenly with salt and pepper.
Before baking, space broccoli florets as much as possible. Roast on center rack at 400º F for 25-30 minutes.
Notes and Tips
Since ovens vary, check the broccoli at 20 or 25 minutes. You may like the doneness at that point. Honestly, that is a personal preference. I like mine more caramelized, but you may like yours less. It may also depend on the size of the florets.
This broccoli is delicious on its own, but is also great with a squeeze fresh lemon juice, a sprinkle of parmesan or feta cheese, or even some red pepper flakes.
Serve this side dish like any other side dish, along side your favorite mains like Instant Pot Brisket, or toss into pasta dishes like this Instant Pot Chicken Alfredo, Creamy Sausage Pasta with Mushrooms.
Can I add other vegetables?
Yes, add some cauliflower florets, cup up carrots, or halved Brussel sprouts.
Do I need to boil first?
No need to boil first. It will cook up perfectly crips tender in the oven.
How do I reheat roasted vegetables?
While the microwave is always an option, it's best warmed up in a hot, dry skillet. Just cook until heated through.
More vegetarian recipes
Thank you for reading this recipe! If you make it, I’d love for you to give it a ★ rating below. Thank you for your feedback!
Easy Roasted Broccoli
- 6 cups fresh broccoli about 2 heads
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt or to taste
- 1 teaspoon coarse black pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 400º F degrees
- Cut the florets off the stalk into evenly sized pieces.
- Wash broccoli under cold water and pat dry with a paper towel.
- Spread broccoli on a shallow, 11 x 17 baking pan. Or add to a large bowl.
- Drizzle extra virgin olive oil over the broccoli. Toss to coat.
- Make sure broccoli is evenly spaced on baking sheet pan.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until crisp and slightly caramelized around the edges.