This apple dump cake recipe is so simple because it's made with apple pie filling and cake mix! You'll turn to it again and again when you want a no fail dessert that's quick and easy. This version is drizzled with caramel sauce. Only 4 ingredients!
Why you'll love it
It's so simple! This is the perfect dessert when everyone is craving something sweet, but you don't have the time or energy to make something complicated.
It's made with easy to fresh and find pantry staples. Not only are the ingredients easy to find, you can keep the pie filling and cake mix in the pantry to have on whenever the apple dessert cravings hit.
It's full of apple flavor-just like apple pie. Do you love apple pie? I do! This is a great alternative to apple pie that just might be easier than pie.
How to make apple dump cake
Dump apple pie filing into a greased 9 x 13 inch baking dish. Spread yellow cake mix over the the top.
Slice a stick of butter into 20 thin slices. Place them on the dry cake mix. Drizzle caramel sauce that's been warmed up a bit over the butter.
Bake at 350º F for about 35 minutes. There may be a few patches of dry cake mix on top, but it will moisten as you serve the dump cake. Serve with ice cream and extra caramel drizzle!
Use any brand of pie filling and cake mix for the recipe-Target's Market Pantry and Duncan Hines are my favorites for this cake.
Caramel sauce-don't be generous with the caramel sauce-just ⅓ cup is plenty. It will be too sweet if you use any more. Warm it up in the microwave a little so it will pour nicely.
Don't over bake! The caramel sauce will harden if left to bake too long. You can add the caramel sauce at the halfway point (about 15 minutes in) if preferred.
Thank you for reading this recipe! If you make it, I’d love for you to give it a ★ rating below. This lets me know what you like and want to see more of.
Apple Dump Cake
- 2 cans apple pie filling 21 ounces each
- 1 package yellow cake mix
- ½ cup 1 stick butter, cut into thin slices about 20 slices
- ⅓ cup caramel topping, warmed slightly I used Hershey’s
- ice cream optional
- Heat oven to 350. Spray a 13 x 9 baking pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Dump the apple pie filling in the pan and spread it out to the edges.
- Top the apple filling with the packaged cake mix, spreading it to the edges as evenly as possible.
- Place the thinly sliced butter all over the cake mix, spacing out evenly.
- Drizzle the warmed caramel topping over the butter layer.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes. Don't over bake. Cool for about 15 minutes.
- Top with ice cream.
- Store leftovers covered in the refrigerator for several days. Reheat in microwave to desired temperature.
- Use any brand of pie filling and cake mix for the recipe-Target's Market Pantry and Duncan Hines are my favorites for this cake.
- Caramel sauce-don't be generous with the caramel sauce-just ⅓ cup is plenty. It will be too sweet if you use any more. Warm it up in the microwave a little so it will pour nicely.
- Don't over bake! The caramel sauce will harden if left to bake too long. You can add the caramel sauce at the halfway point (about 15 minutes in) if preferred.