This One Bowl Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bundt Cake is moist, filled with chocolate chips and topped with a chocolate ganache or glaze. Make it with spice cake mix and your favorite bundt pan for a delicious fall treat.
Why you'll love it
Foolproof - you'll love how easy this pumpkin chocolate chip bundt cake is to make. Just mix everything in a bowl, bake and there it is, perfect every time!
Moist - don't you just hate a dry cake? That's not a problem with this chocolate chip pumpkin bundt cake thanks to the addition of some canned pumpkin puree.
Balanced flavor - chocolate chips, spice cake, and pumpkin keep this cake well balanced in flavor. Not too pumpkiny, not too chocolatey.
Spice Cake Mix - Yes, you heard right! This cake is so easy to make because we rely on good ole' cake mix to do most of the heavy lifting. It's great because all the dry ingredients like flour and baking soda are already mixed for you. If you can't find spice cake mix, you can substitute with yellow mix, just add about 1 teaspoon ground allspice or pumpkin pie spice. I can't promise the same flavor, but it will be close!
Canned Pumpkin Puree - I don't always love using canned vegetables, but canned pumpkin is the exception. It makes this cake incredibly moist. If you happen to make homemade pureed pumpkin, by all means substitute with that.
Eggs - Eggs will help leaven the cake as well as add a nice structure. This cake can be sliced easily and has a tender crumb.
Butter - Everything's better with butter, right? Butter add flavor and richness to the cake. If you are watching your fat intake, you can skip adding butter to this recipe. This cake recipe uses melted butter so no need to wait on it coming to room temperature.
Vanilla Extract - Vanilla will add a nice flavor to the cake as well as help enhance the other flavors. Vanilla and chocolate pair exceptionally well!
Chocolate Chips - While you could make this cake without the chocolate, why would you-lol! Chocolate and pumpkin taste great together. You can use mini chocolate chips if you prefer, or chocolate chunks.
You will need chocolate chips for the cake and the chocolate glaze topping.
How do I make chocolate chip bundt cake?
Please see printable recipe card below for complete instructions.
Step One: Add all ingredients (except chocolate chips) to a mixing bowl.
Step Two: Using a hand mixer, beat for one to two minutes, or until well blended. Gently stir in chocolate chips.
Step Three: Spoon batter into a prepared bundt pan.
Step Four: Bake 35-40 minutes in a preheated oven.
Cool in pan for 10 minutes. Cool completely on wire rack.
- Melt remaining chocolate chips to make a glaze.
- Drizzle over bundt cake.
Kitchen tips and notes
Try my favorite Nordic bundt pan for fool proof results every time.
Leave out the chocolate chips or use white chocolate chips instead.
Use a fine mesh strainer to dust with powdered sugar instead of melted chocolate.
Use homemade or store bought frosting instead of melted chocolate. Choose any flavor such as cream cheese, vanilla, or fudge.
If you don't have a piping bag, pour the ganache or frosting into a zip top bag, snip the corner, and pipe the frosting over the cake.
Try this recipe for chocolate ganache from Sally's Baking Addiction.
Substitute spice cake for another flavor such as vanilla, French vanilla, yellow, or chocolate!
How do i melt chocolate chips in the microwave?
To melt chocolate for the ganache: Add chocolate chips to a microwave safe bowl. Microwave for 20 seconds, stir. Continue process until chips are melted, smooth, and creamy.
More desserts to try
Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bundt Cake
- 1 package spice cake mix
- 1 can 15 ounces solid packed pumpkin puree - not pumpkin pie filling!
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup water
- 3 tablespoon melted butter cooled
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups semi-sweet chocolate chips for the cake
- 1 cup chocolate chips melted (for the glaze)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a 12 cup bundt pan with cooking spray, or spray with cooking spray if using a non-stick pan.
- Combine cake mix, pumpkin puree, eggs, water, butter, pumpkin pie spice, and vanilla extract in a large mixing bowl. Beat one to two minutes until well blended. Stir in chocolate chips. Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake 35-40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Cool in pan for 10 minutes, then invert onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Top cake with melted chocolate.
- To melt chocolate in the microwave: place chocolate in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring in between intervals.
- Nutritional information is an estimate.
- Top cake with powdered sugar instead of melted chocolate, if desired. Use a fine mesh strainer to sift the sugar over the top.