This homemade Dalgona Latte is a luxurious drink using Dalgona coffee, which is made with instant coffee. In just a few minutes you can enjoy this TikTok inspired whipped coffee treat that will wow your friends and family.
Why you'll love it
It's cheap to make - just use some simple ingredients like milk and instant coffee to create a delectable, foamy Dalgona latte drink that tastes like a $5 iced coffee from your favorite coffee shop.
Quick and easy - you don't need any fancy appliances or high speed blenders to make this homemade Dalgona Latte. All you need is a whisk or hand mixer, a few minutes of time, and some elbow grease.
Versatile - I love this recipe because I can have it so many ways. Sometimes I like it with cold milk - like an iced latte, but in the winter, I like it hot. You can also choose to make this vegan with oat or almond milk.
Recipe card at bottom of post.
Instant Coffee - I used the regular grocery store kind of instant coffee. There are many brands out there, but I just use whatever is the cheapest, usually the store brand. Just be sure you use instant, not ground coffee. Decaf works too.
Instant espresso powder will also work, but will have a stronger flavor.
Sugar - regular granulated sugar is what's used to sweeten the coffee foam. You can also use raw sugar, coconut sugar, or brown sugar. I find that white granulated sugar works the best and keeps the foam stable for longer.
Hot Water - hot water is needed to dissolve the coffee granules and sugar.
Milk - use the kind of milk you prefer and are accustomed to drinking.
Yes! Please don't try to make this with regular brew ground coffee beans. They won't dissolve!
How to make a Dalgona Latte
Step One: In a small mixing bowl, add the instant coffee, sugar, and hot water. Whisk until stiff peaks form. This means when you pull the whisk or beaters out, the mixture will keep its shape.
With an electric mixer it will take about 3 minutes (recommenced method).
If you whisk by hand, it will take about 8-10 minutes, or even longer depending on how fast you whisk.
You can also use a battery powered frother wand, like was popular on social media.
Step Two: Add ice (if using) and your favorite milk to a glass. Top milk with Dalgona coffee. Stir foam into milk for the perfect Dalgona Latte.
Option - stir some foam into the milk reserving the rest to add to the top.
- Keep mixing, it will thicken up-promise!
- You can make your Dalgona latte as weak or as strong as you like. To make it stronger use less milk, and vice versa.
- Cut the recipe in half when making Dalgona Latte for one.
- Replace plain milk with chocolate milk or hot chocolate for a Dalgona Chocolate Coffee.
- Top with whipped cream, honey, my caramel sauce or top with my caramel whipped cream for added sweetness.
- You can add more sugar if you like a sweeter flavor, or use sweetened milk.
- Mix Dalgona coffee (the foam) into equal parts whipped cream for a delicious flavored whipped cream.
Sprinkle your Dalgona latte with some cookie pieces.
Dust with cocoa powder right before serving.
Use as a dip for cookies or graham crackers.
Use a a topping for angel food cake, pound cake, pancakes, or waffles.
Try a homemade Dalgona latte for breakfast in place of your morning cup of coffee with my vegetarian egg muffins.
Try it for dessert with my no bake chocolate pie.
Keep any leftover Dalgona coffee covered tightly in the refrigerator for up to one week. Re-whip if the liquid has started to separate.
Whipped coffee is also known as Dalgona coffee. It's made by whipping equal parts instant coffee, sugar, and hot water into a foam that's added to hot or cold milk. It became popular on the social media platform, TikTok.
Using granulated sugar helps stabilize the coffee foam so it will stay fluffy for a few hours. If you're more concerned about sugar content than the look of the foam, then by all means, skip the sugar.
The name "Dalgona" is Korean for "it's sweet". It's the name of a toffee snack sold by street vendors. Dalgona coffee is inspired by that treat.
Dalgona coffee has a strong coffee taste, even somewhat bitter so I don't recommend skipping the sugar. This drink is definitely for coffee lovers!
Granulated sweeteners are okay to use, just avoid the liquid ones.
CLICK HERE to have recipes delivered via email!
Homemade Dalgona Latte
- 2 tablespoon instant coffee granules not coffee grounds
- 2 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoon hot water
- 16 oz of milk of your choice hot or cold, which ever you prefer
- Ice, if desired
Additional Topping Ideas
- Cookie pieces
- Honey, Chocolate or caramel sauce drizzle
- Whipped Cream
- In a mixing bowl add the instant coffee, sugar, and hot water, and whisk until it gets thick and foamy. With an electric mixer it will take about 3 minutes. If you whisk by hand, it will take about 8-15 minutes.
- Mix or whisk until stiff peaks form and it's all thick and foamy.
- Add milk (and ice, if using) to two glasses or mugs. Scoop half of the Dalgona coffee mixture over the milk. Or layer milk and Dalgona, for a fun effect.
- Stir until combined. Add additional toppings, if desired.
Did you make the recipe? Share a tip here!