Looking for the best easy homemade beefaroni recipe? You’ll love this version made with elbow macaroni, ground beef, and tons of tomato flavor. Top it with some shredded cheddar cheese for a cheesy one pot skillet or casserole main dish ready in about 30 minutes.
Why it's awesome
It's a quick and easy family friendly dinner idea! You'll love how easy it is to throw this homemade beefaroni meal together. It only takes about 30 minutes and you'll have a delicious lunch or dinner.
It's made with easy to find fresh and pantry ingredients. This homemade, easy beefaroni recipe comes together with just a few ingredients. Lean ground beef, tomato sauce, and elbow macaroni are a few of the things you'll need.
It's a classic recipe almost like Chef Boyardee but made with better for you ingredients you can actually pronounce! There's no high fructose corn syrup, caramel color, or preservative in this beefaroni recipe. After tasing this delicious homemade dinner, you won't crave the canned stuff anymore!
Elbow macaroni - I like using the large elbow macaroni noodles. You can use any short cut pasta like penne or even fusilli. Try chickpea pasta if you are gluten sensitive.
Tomato sauce - I like the flavor and texture of tomato sauce best for this recipe. A good substitute would be crushed tomatoes. You may want to add a tablespoon of sugar to sweeten it up a bit. If you like more texture to your tomatoes, try adding a can of diced tomatoes that have been drained.
Ground beef - I prefer to use a 85% or 90% lean ground beef. It has good flavor without being too fatty. If you use a fattier version, just drain some of the fat off, if desired.
Mix seasoning together in a small bowl, set aside.
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions and cook until lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
Add ground beef, breaking it up with a spoon or spatula. Sprinkle on the seasonings and some salt and pepper. Brown ground beef until no longer pink. Add minced garlic, cook for one minute.
Add tomato sauce to beef mixture and stir until well mixed. Let simmer for 25 minutes (uncovered) while you cook the macaroni. Stir in parsley after the sauce has simmered.
Cook macaroni according to package directions to al dente (usually 7 minutes). Drain cooking water (don’t rinse) and add to tomato/beef mixture. Stir well.
Your homemade beefaroni recipe is ready!
I like 85/15 ground beef, but you may want to use something leaner. If you choose a fattier beef, be sure to drain the excess fat.
Try it with ground turkey!
Any short style pasta will work, just be sure to cook it according to package directions.
Adding shredded cheese is up to you...it's definitely lighter to leave the cheese out. lf you do want cheese, just sprinkle it over the top, cover the skillet with a lid and let the cheese melt. Or you can put the skillet under the broiler for a few minutes. Just be sure it's oven proof! You can also put the beefaroni in a casserole dish and bake in the oven at 350º F for 20-25 minutes.
Cover leftovers and refrigerate for up to 5 days. Reheat in microwave.
Complete the meal with a salad and some garlic bread.
Beefaroni is similar in taste to pasta dishes that are made with a tomato meat sauce.
What's the difference between beefaroni and goulash?
They are just about the same thing!
Yes, store in freezer safe containers for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator then reheat. You can also freeze just the sauce, or the sauce and cooked macaroni seperately.
More recipes to try
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon mild flavored oil
- 1 cup onion chopped
- 1 lb ground beef 85% lean
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2-15 oz. cans tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoon parsley fresh, chopped
- 10 oz. large elbow macaroni cooked; about 3 cups uncooked
- 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded or more (optional)
- Mix seasoning together in a small bowl, set aside.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions and cook until lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add ground beef, breaking it up with a spoon or spatula. Sprinkle on the seasonings and some salt and pepper. Cook until completely browned. Add minced garlic, cook for one minute.
- Add tomato sauce to beef mixture and stir until well mixed. Let simmer for 25 minutes (uncovered) while you cook the macaroni. Stir in parsley after the sauce has simmered.
- Cook macaroni according to package directions to al dente (usually 7 minutes). Drain cooking water (don’t rinse) and add to tomato/beef mixture. Stir well.
- To serve with cheese:
- Preheat broiler. Add one to two cups of cheese to the beefaroni. Broil skillet a few inches away from the heat until the cheese melts and is lightly browned. Be sure your skillet is oven proof or cover your handles with heavy duty aluminum foil.
- To bake as a casserole: Preheat oven to 350º F. Spray a casserole dish with cooking spray. Add beefaroni to the dish then top with cheese. Bake for 20-30 minutes or until the cheese is melted.